• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8X32BA Focus stiff (1 Viewer)

If this is the case Curtis, I wouldn't mind a little grease. Even if I had to ocassionaly send them in for a lube job.

My BAs haven't improved with time. That and the slickness of the armor is the only thing I can complain about. Otherwise for a 32mm they are fantastic.

The armor on some of my Leica BAs gets chalky. The chalky coating can be washed and rubbed off but, I hope Leica has found a better type of armor. Armor that doesn't get slick, or chalky or shows scratches so easily.

Anyone know if the Ultravids have a better armor?

Rich

My Ultravid armor is OK I guess. Although it does seem to be getting less "grippy", maybe they just need cleaning.

I really love the feel of the armor on the Swift 8.5x44 porros. Don't know how it holds up though.

Strange variations in experience!

My twopennorth: my 8x32 BAs have been well used in the 8 or so years I've had them: the armour doesn't do anything but sit there looking black and rubbery - no chalkiness at all.

They don't strike me as feeling slippery either. Smooth, but not "slick". I hate that "super grippy" feel you get from some rubber anyway. As long as the strap is around my neck, the bins are safe enough.

The focus wheel is as smooth as butter, and always has been as I recall.

And optically, I'm as impressed when I look through them now as I was the day I bought them.

Last edited:
blythkeith said:
Strange variations in experience!

My twopennorth: my 8x32 BAs have been well used in the 8 or so years I've had them: the armour doesn't do anything but sit there looking black and rubbery - no chalkiness at all.

They don't strike me as feeling slippery either. Smooth, but not "slick". I hate that "super grippy" feel you get from some rubber anyway. As long as the strap is around my neck, the bins are safe enough.

The focus wheel is as smooth as butter, and always has been as I recall.

And optically, I'm as impressed when I look through them now as I was the day I bought them.

The armor on the Leica BA/BN series is actually polyurerthane, which I suspect has been supplied by a number of vendors. The first examples (bins marked "Leica Camera GmbH") were smooth without any tacky qualities at all. Apparently, attempts to remedy this problem (bins marked "Leica Camera AG") resulted in somewhat more tacky armor that occasionally gets chalky in humid conditions (Leica USA Service recommends a vinyl protectant product called "ArmorAll" as a fix and its works pretty well if not overused). Interestingly, the problem does not seem to affect the green version of the armor. I know I am in the minority, but I prefer the hard rubber armor of the Zeiss Classic series, and am not surprised to see Leica return to rubber for the Ultravids. I also share blythkeith's impressions of the Leica 8 x 32 - it's still a wonderful, and fully competitive, optical tool.

Last edited:
Hi there, Chartwell99,

interesting and informative posting there.

I did actually wonder whether climate/humidity would have an impact on the chalkiness problem - now I know!

;)

My bins are actually marked "Leica Camera" (not "Leica camera AG" - but I guess that's not an issue) and as you suggest, the change in armour would explain the slightly more "secure" hand feel - mine are (to me) perfect in that regard.

And in every other!

Love 'em to bits.

blythkeith said:
mine are (to me) perfect in that regard.

And in every other!

Love 'em to bits.
Keith,

I would agree, although I am curious about the new Zeiss 8x32 FL. Curiosity is not enough to make me spend a lot of money on marginal improvements.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :news:

Hi Arthur,

I know what you mean - I've been actively avoiding situations where I might find myself "just having a go" on some of the new kids on the block in case they are better than my babies.

Apart from the fact that I can't afford to replace the Leicas, it'd be like cheating on them!

;)

(It can't be healthy to be so emotionally attached to pair of bins, can it?)

:D

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back