• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Soaring hawk, Southern Vancouver Island (1 Viewer)

vpr

I think this is either a Cooper's or sharp-shinned hawk (similar to my last query).

Any thoughts??

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 335
Thanks! In this case, what are the giveaways?

As you can see from my posting history, these two hawks are not my strong point.

Underpart streaking is better for Sharp-shinned (thicker/more blotchy, unlike Cooper's well-defined streaks). Tail shape is good for Sharp-shinned, but that isn't always reliable. Cooper's should show more head projection beyond the wings, too.

I'd say Cooper's for this bird. The head looks large and protrudes from the leading edge of the wings even with the wings folded during a stoop. The tail is definitely graduated, with the outer rectrices shorter, and the tail has wide white terminal band. The belly is unstreaked. The bird looks pretty massive through the chest.

Andy

Another for Cooper’s for the reasons given (the thinly streaked underparts and graduated tail in particular).

Last edited:
First off, the bird is not soaring, a behavior involving extended wings, spread wing tips, and spread tail. Secondly, I would lean toward Coop, mostly due to the relatively unmarked side at the base of the wing. Sharpie is generally heavily marked there. I agree that the tail seems graduated, but I cannot really discern the precise shape of the outermost rectrix. Some juv female Sharpies can match this bird's tail shape.

First off, the bird is not soaring, a behavior involving extended wings, spread wing tips, and spread tail. Secondly, I would lean toward Coop, mostly due to the relatively unmarked side at the base of the wing. Sharpie is generally heavily marked there. I agree that the tail seems graduated, but I cannot really discern the precise shape of the outermost rectrix. Some juv female Sharpies can match this bird's tail shape.

Interesting! I didn't know that. I had been using "soaring" very casually to mean "flying without flapping much" but that's obviously wrong. Appreciate the correction, and all the other posts as well!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back