• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (27 Viewers)

Warbler heaven. Chiffchaff, Reed warbler, Sedge Warbler, Blackcap and whitethroat all around moors/ north moors today. Didn't really look at the pool so missed anything exciting on there.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Ringed Plover----------------LRP (4)
Common Sand (2)-----------Green Sand (1)
Snipe (1)---------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Lapwing (10)-----------------Avocet (27)
Little Egret (1)---------------Shoveler (pr)
Gadwall (pr)-----------------Teal (2prs+f)
Shelduck (2)-----------------White Wagtail
Cetti's Warbler---------------Sand Martin (2)
Swallow (1)------------------Raven (1)

MOORS:
Med Gull (2s)----------------LRP (1 briefly)
Oystercatcher (2)-----------Snipe (2)
Lapwing (3)------------------Shoveler (6)
Teal (1)----------------------Tufted Duck (51)
Gadwall (pr)-----------------Shelduck (2)
B H Gull (c250)--------------Kingfisher
House Martin (1)------------Swallow (3)
Sand Martin (3)--------------Cetti's Warbler (3)
Reed Warbler (3)------------Sedge Warbler (2)
Blackcap (4)-----------------Cormorant (3)
Little Grebe (4)--------------G C Grebe (6)
Peregrine--------------------Greylags (2)
Chiffchaff (4)----------------Grey Wagtail

N MOORS :
Teal (3)----------------------Blackcap (3)
Goldcrest--------------------Tufted Duck (5)
Sedge Warbler (1)-----------Cetti's Warbler (1)

SAILING POOL/ED RES:
Cetti's Warbler (1)----------Skylark (1)
Tufted Duck (7)-------------G C Grebe (4)
Blackcap (3)

Des.

At the half way point of April the monthly list stands on 99 species with the reserve's year list advanced to 115. Possible additions before the end of the month include (year ticks in bold):

Garganey, Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Hobby, Sanderling, Whimbrel, Greenshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Bar-tailed Godwit, Ruff, Little Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Arctic Tern, Common Tern, Black Tern, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Swift, Whinchat, Stonechat, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Yellowhammer

Common Scoter Melanitta nigra

Although very much a maritime duck, Common Scoter is known for sudden movements across land in spring, summer and autumn between its North European breeding grounds and its coastal wintering and moulting sites (up to 100,000 birds may winter in British waters). This can result in the occurrence of individuals or flocks on inland waters. Upton Warren has 24 records involving a total of 54 birds; nearby Westwood Pool is the county’s leading site for this species.

The reserve's first record was a female present on the 18th April 1943; the longest gap between records was 13 years between the fourth record in 1961 and the fifth in 1974. The species has become more common in recent times as this breakdown of sightings per decade indicates:

1940s - 3 records of 3 birds
1950s - no records
1960s - 1 record of 1 bird
1970s - 1 record of 2 birds
1980s - 6 records of 15 birds
1990s - 4 records of 11 birds
2000s - 4 records of 14 birds
2010s - 5 records of 8 birds

Whilst most records are just for single days as per the below figures, of the five birds that turned up on the 10th August 1992 a pair remained until the 15th when the female departed with last male staying until the 20th, an eleven day stay.

1 day stay - 17 records
2 day stay - 2 records
3 day stay - 1 record
4 day stay - 2 records
5 day stay - 0 record
6 day stay - 1 record
7 day stay - 0 record
8+ day stay - 1 record

Likewise the majority of the sightings are of single birds but small groups may occur. The reserve's highest count was a flock of eleven birds (ten males and a female) seen on the Sailing Pool on the 2nd April 2002. whilst ten (four males and six females) were present on the Sailing Pool on the 16th October 1985.

1 bird - 17 records
2 birds - 2 records
3 birds - 1 record
4 birds - 1 record
5 birds - 1 record
6+ birds - 2 records

The majority of the records relate to the Sailing Pool and as a result are usually disturbed during the morning by sailing activity, hastening their departure, or the Moors Pool. Many of the sightings coincide with other inland records e.g. an immature bird present on the 16th November 1996 record coincided with a marked movement across the West Midlands which saw 108 birds recorded in the region during the month. The records at Upton Warren are spread throughout the year with only December yet to score; the peak movements are in April and again in late autumn.

January - 1 record of 4 birds
February- 1 record of 2 birds
March - 1 record of 1 bird
April - 5 records of 16 birds
May - 2 records of 2 birds
June - 1 record of 1 bird
July - 2 records of 4 birds
August - 2 records of 6 birds
September - 2 records of 2 birds
October - 4 records of 13 birds
November - 3 records of 3 birds
December - no records

Of the birds that have been specifically sexed, males outnumber females by some considerable margin (32 vs 20) with one immature bird and one unsexed individual.

A further record of a Common Scoter on the 3rd September 1987 remains unsubstantiated, as does a record occurring before the Second World War referred to in Bill Oddie’s Gone Birding.

Great to see the migrants coming in for you all. Swift. My favourite bird.

For those interested in my travels, I am ow having a rest until Saturday. Yes, I do have them! I really put the speed on in Northern Ireland doing just over 40 miles a day and birding as well. Belfast and back in a 360 mile clockwise route. It really is a beautiful country.
I came back to England, to Liverpool and want to thank Phil Andrews on this page for all the help he has been giving me over the next bird to get. Thanks to Phil I managed, at last, to see surf scoters at Hoylake. Thanks Phil. You are an absolute star.

I also want to thank John for the Twitter messages and Mary, Tim, Mike and Vern on facebook. Every message is a boost and i thank you all.

I am now on 183 for the Green Year list and after Merseyside this weekend, I am heading down through North Staffs and Derbyshire to East Anglia.

The blog needs updating and I'll do that today

http://bikingbirderridesagain2015.blogspot.co.uk/

For those who prefer contact then there's facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/bikingbirder2015

In Belfast last week there was a whole page in the main newspaper devoted to a mega rarity for Northern Ireland..... an avocet. Only the 7th ever i was told. It's all relative isn't it? Who remembers the time when avocet would have scored big points in the fantasy league?

All the best to you all,

Gary

Last edited:
Today's Black Tern is the earliest ever on record, beating the previous best of 17th April from 2003 by one day.

Last edited:
This evening at the Moors Pool Dave J reports:

Mediterranean Gull (2s), Little Egret, Common Sandpiper, 2 Reed Warblers, 6 Sedge Warblers

Pretty sure I had a lesser whitethroat along the west track of the Moors this evening. Was tricky getting a good view of it as it was hiding in the hawthorn but had the right kind of slaty grey head. Was only indulging in subsong but reviewing examples on Xeno-canto it sounded much more like the examples of lesser whitethroat subsong than common. Apologies for not being more definite! if someone has a mooch about there in the morning they might turn up the bird.

Pretty sure I had a lesser whitethroat along the west track of the Moors this evening. Was tricky getting a good view of it as it was hiding in the hawthorn but had the right kind of slaty grey head. Was only indulging in subsong but reviewing examples on Xeno-canto it sounded much more like the examples of lesser whitethroat subsong than common. Apologies for not being more definite! if someone has a mooch about there in the morning they might turn up the bird.

I saw and heard what was probably the same bird, behaving in exactly the same way, at around 2pm today and agree that it was a Lesser Whitethroat.
Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back