• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

We live and learn (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

Most (if not all) of you will know that as well as birds I take an interest in Butterflys, Moths, D'flys, Bees, etc etc and take photos of all that I can get to 'sit' for me.

Now I don't claim to be knowledgable about them but I can usually get them identified one way or another (stop laughing Sue!), especially as I know a man whose hobby is Butterflys and Moths.

A while ago I told him about the place not far away where I'd found 2 Butterflys new to me, White Admirals and Silver-Washed Fritillarys (he agreed with the photos) and last week on one of the few fine days he went to see for himself. He duly came back to me and said that he'd seen 1 White Admiral and yes the Silver-Washed, but also some Dark Green Fritillarys!

This had me going back over my photos because I had noted a couple that did look a little different (but only a little) and lo and behold, I found a couple that WERE of Dark Green Fritillarys; yipee another 'tick' for my Butterfly life-list.

Why am I boring you with all this? Well here are two photos, one of each; can you understand why I didn't spot them straightaway? Nah, they are obviously different aren't they? I must add that in the 'flesh' they are slightly different sizes but we are talking about fluttering about here.

Bill

Attachments

• DS silver-washed fritillary 210706 5.jpg
    DS silver-washed fritillary 210706 5.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DS dark green fritillary 180706 1.jpg
    DS dark green fritillary 180706 1.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 28
Blimey Bill!!!!:eek!:
It's not easy is it?
To me they look like one of the same!!!
Lovely pics tho and well done with another one for your list!:t:

They would make a good 'Spot the Difference' competition Bill.:t:
I cannot see the difference, I will have another look later!o:D

Fantastic pics Bill :t:

Do we get to see your White Admiral? Been looking for one of these myself with not much luck!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Here you go, these are the best that I've got so far; plus just for interest (not a good shot but they WERE up in a tree) a Red and a White together.

Bill

Attachments

• DS white admiral 140706 1.jpg
    DS white admiral 140706 1.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DS white admiral 140706 2_1.jpg
    DS white admiral 140706 2_1.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DS red & white admirals in oak tree 140706 .jpg
    DS red & white admirals in oak tree 140706 .jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 23
Lovely pics of both the Fritillary's and the White Admiral Bill. I'm looking hard but still trying to find the difference between the two

Best wishes

Hi folks,Now I don't claim to be knowledgable about them but I can usually get them identified one way or another (stop laughing Sue!), especially as I know a man whose hobby is Butterflys and Moths.

This had me going back over my photos because I had noted a couple that did look a little different (but only a little) and lo and behold, I found a couple that WERE of Dark Green Fritillarys; yipee another 'tick' for my Butterfly life-list.

Hi Bill,

They are really splendid shots of such wonderful Butterflies and I can easily see just why you're so chuffed. I'm so glad you put the White Admiral ones on here as well as I've loved those since you first showed me, but we never see any here.

Now would I laugh at your Butterfly IDs? NO! You're always good at iding them ok, it's those flippin' mid-air Hoverflies and Bugs you keep asking me to ID for you that cause the problems. Easily solved now though........I just sit back, chuckle then say "you're havin a larf!" At least I did with the last one! o:D

Not exactly been the summer for Bugs this year, Hoverflies either. Keep looking out for the White Admiral again, Green Frits too, because those are brilliant!

Love, Sue.

Golly, I am struggling to find the difference! Lovely flutterby pics, Bill, thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back