• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope EP mag. V. Astro EP mag. (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how Scope EP's match up equally ( in magnification ) to an Astro EP ?

Astro EP's seem to be measured in millimetres ( 5mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, etc ) rather than the X of Scope EP's.

So for instance, if you have a 30x Scope EP, whats the equivalent in an Astro EP , would it be 30mm ?

The magnification depends on the focal length of the telescope aswell as the eyepiece

Magnification=focal length of scope/focal length of eyepiece
which means

focal length of eyepiece=focal length of scope/magnification

So for a 500mm scope a 30x eyepiece would have focal length of around 17mm

Can you do all that again with 420mm + 24x scope EP Steve ? Cheers ;)

It seems to work out very similar ...17mm approx

So a 17mm Astro EP on 420mm scope, would be equiv. to 24x Scope EP on the same 420mm scope ( i think )

Last edited:
Can you do all that again with 420mm + 24x scope EP Steve ? Cheers ;)

It seems to work out very similar ...17mm approx

So a 17mm Astro EP on 420mm scope, would be equiv. to 24x Scope EP on the same 420mm scope ( i think )

Yep, moreorless. Thats why nikon eyepieces have different mags on different scopes.

Noted.

I think Paul actually said the same thing, only i didnt realise it till now. My maths isnt the best ;)

Most scope EP have a few X # on their EP. Does that refer to specific scope FL only? Does spotting scope have a very limited choice of FL?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back