• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which lens for £600ish? (1 Viewer)

Chilt

So I’ve got a 550D with a 55-250 stm lens at the moment and I’m going to save up towards a longer zoom or prime, so I’m thinking

Sigma 150-600C
Tamron 150-600G1
Canon 400mm 5.6 L
(Maybe) Canon 100-400ml L mk1

If there’s any others I should be looking at please let me know, but this is what I’ve narrowed it down to so what are you thoughts guys?

Thanks for any help
Chilt

Last edited:
The tamron 150-600 G2 is popular. I've shot with it a lot on Nikon. It's not too heavy for 600mm and performs well. I have not used the G1, but I heard that the G2 was a significant upgrade. I usually shoot it around f/7.1 - f/8 for some extra sharpness and skip trying to use a TC on it.

The Sigma 150-600C is supposed to be pretty close to the G2, but I have not used it.

The 400/5.6 is a popular budget walkabout lens for Canon. No IS, but if your shutter speed is high enough it won't matter much. It should take the 1.4x TC well for a 560mm f/8. I'm not sure how well your camera would focus with that. The 7dm2 only has center point focus.

The original 100-400 is a push-pull zoom. I don't think TCs work so well on it. I'd stay away, as personally I think you want 500 - 600mm native (before camera crop factor).

Remember that with these heavier lenses, you are mounting the camera on the lens, not the lens on the camera. You'll want something like the Black Rapid sport sling.

I think you hit all the main options. The Tammy G2 is really nice. I know a 7dm1 shooter who uses it all the time with great results.

Marc

The tamron 150-600 G2 is popular. I've shot with it a lot on Nikon. It's not too heavy for 600mm and performs well. I have not used the G1, but I heard that the G2 was a significant upgrade. I usually shoot it around f/7.1 - f/8 for some extra sharpness and skip trying to use a TC on it.

The Sigma 150-600C is supposed to be pretty close to the G2, but I have not used it.

The 400/5.6 is a popular budget walkabout lens for Canon. No IS, but if your shutter speed is high enough it won't matter much. It should take the 1.4x TC well for a 560mm f/8. I'm not sure how well your camera would focus with that. The 7dm2 only has center point focus.

The original 100-400 is a push-pull zoom. I don't think TCs work so well on it. I'd stay away, as personally I think you want 500 - 600mm native (before camera crop factor).

Remember that with these heavier lenses, you are mounting the camera on the lens, not the lens on the camera. You'll want something like the Black Rapid sport sling.

I think you hit all the main options. The Tammy G2 is really nice. I know a 7dm1 shooter who uses it all the time with great results.

Marc

Thanks for your reply! So, i may have decided on the sigma 150-600C With the docking station.

Thanks
Chilt

good choice ,after weeks of research looking like ill be going with the same, not sure if it will be new or used at the moment , i use the nikon d300 with the sigma 120-400 ,a bit of a lump to carry so i use a 2 camera strap one bracket screwed to the lens the other screwed to the camera feels nice and secure, cheap as chips from ebay

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back