• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any data/experience with 90's Gold Ring 9x35 IF porro bins? (1 Viewer)

Bob

You are of course correct in your assessment of superior 3-D from porro glasses. The Swift of mine has it big time. That 3-D efect in my Nighthawk is its most outstanding feature. I really thought the 3-D porro effect would help the 9x35 more than it does. With the binoculars I have, the brightness and contrast improvement in the view seems to cancel out the 3-D effect when you're watching a magpie. It probably is also a pretty fair statement of newer coatings and application technology too.

You are also right about the endemic rocker effect with the fast focus modern roof. My Eaglet has that and at first I thought it would drive me nuts. But I got used to it. I now have glasses that go from 1 turn to two full turns of the focus knob. I hardly notice now. One fault I find with the Eaglet is that it takes too litle effort to make it move, especially when you don't necessarily want it to.

The Viper is a whole different beast from the Diamondback. Look at both side by side and you may not be willing to go back to the Diamondback, unless your use is astronomy, whereby the FOV may decide the issue. The Viper and Eaglet really compare visually more toward the $1,000 end of the optics spectrum than they do to the upper end mid price roofs.

As to my 9x35, the only number is 14554 on the objective end of the hinge with the Leupold logo. On the ocular end of the hinge with the IP measurement is M2.

Steve,

Okay we've now got all 3 model variants identified (model #s 14554, 52277, and 70026). The only one with metal knurling is #52277, both of the others have rubber ocular knurling. Thanks!

BTW I was still editing mine above with more averted vision stuff while you entered your newest post.

Mmmm... my 9x35s certainly give a nice 3D effect, just not one I can go swimming in like the 77* of the 7x35s (which incidentally turned out to be much better than expected). The way tree branches are layered as I look out with the 9x35s presents a very engaging 3D view. The more we exchange things here the more I think we're talking about two different bins. The size thing still bothers me... I mean 3/4" difference? Gesh! Bets are that were you to examine mine you'd find the images markedly different from what you're experiencing with yours.

I bought the Diamondbacks (the highest quality Vortex the local dealer had) after playing with them for the better part of an hour. I compared them to Leica 10x42s at the time as well. They compared quite well considering the huge price difference. I popped simply because it seemed that I was able to hold them steady. I once owned some cheap Tasco 10x50 porros but could never hold them steady enough and it had been over 30 years since I'd tried 10x bins again. Well the long and short of things is that I screwed up. Just weeks shy of 60 I find my maximum is 9x plain and simple. I can hold and effectively use my 40 oz Orion 9x63s and my 7 oz Pentax 9x21 UCF-Minis. The Leupold 9x35 too obviously now. Yes I like the 6.6* 346' FOV the 10x42 Diamondbacks provide. Edges are surprisingly good for such an inexpensive set. But as said I flat can not hold them steady enough to avoid the quick onset of eye fatigue. Just 2 months since purchase, I've listed them for sale on another forum.

One last thought: yup, I've become a wide FOV enthusiast. I just wish current models had the kind of wide fields the old glasses had (say having a AFOV greater than 65*).

--Bob

Last edited:
Here are some pix from recent auction listings that illustrate the 3/4" height difference Steve:

71107001.jpg

The objective lens bells (tube) are definitely longer on the lower model.

Steve,

To clear up a couple of loose items in this thread:

1 - my comment about wishing Leupold had a lens coating service to upgrade the 9x35IFs is ultra stupid. The tolerances in optics are extremely tight and factor in the thousands of an inch of coatings applied. Change that and you change the whole mess ending up with misaligned mismatched crap :(

2 - you'd asked for a comparison between the 8x30 Sams and the 9x35IFs. I stand by my comments on the Yosemite "Sams" above and posted elsewhere. They're great inexpensive lightweight bins matching the performance of the Pentax DCF-WP 8x32s in key respects. The materials used are space-age polymers so the feel isn't as solidly traditional as the 9x35s. The solid click stops of the later give confidence (mine stay put BTW) whereas the stiction of the Sam's focus wheel can annoy. Resolution appears comparable. Brightness is close with an edge to the newer bins which is probably more an issue of coatings vice magnification / objective lens size differences. The 9x35s have slightly less distortion issues than the Sams although both require close examination for detection. The 7.5* 393' FOV of the Sams and the 7.3* 382' FOV of the higher mag 9x35s both avoid giving that looking down a straw view. If forced to choose one I'd keep the 9x35 IFs. But the lightweight (18.5 oz versus a guess of 25 or 26 for the 9x35s) and light cost of the Sams makes them a favorite for taking into high risk environments where their damage or loss wouldn't hurt as bad.

3 - if Leupold responds to my request for details about the three versions of the 9x35 IF I'll be sure to share them with you here.

--Bob

Last edited:
FWIW, here is the eboy July-Aug '07 activity on various versions of Leupold 9x35IFs: (all USD) $175.00, $175.01, $192.50, $212.52, and $265.01. There was also one 10x40IF 6.6* FOV that went for $203.50

Also I managed to find a brand new Leupold black leather zip case designed for the 9x35IF porros. For reference it is model # 42311.

--Bob

Last edited:
I received a nice new bino strap (same neoprene model that ships with the Sams) and a full set of lens covers for the GR 9x35 IFs gratis from Leupold today. Again, their no questions asked lifetime support of their Gold Ring products speaks volumes.

Unfortunately no model history was included with this shipment. They have my e-mail address too so perhaps something will be forthcoming soon.

--Bob

I received some preliminary information which indicates that these bins were produced in Japan by Kamakura (Koki I presume) in the 60s, 70s and late 80s until being replaced by the Wind River line. They're the same outfit that made the Swift Audubons porros. Hopefully more will be forthcoming soon.

--Bob

Last edited:
I received this by e-mail from a Leupold rep today as a prelimninary response. A package of information is being sent by snail mail.

"We introduced binoculars to our product line in 1983. (the 9X35 & 7X30 individual focus porro's.) In 1987 we introduced the 2nd generation 9X35 designing them little smaller and lighter as well as more water-tight.
In 1993 we introduced our first center focus binoculars and in 1994 we introduced the 9X35 under the Wind River name. I believe it was 1998 that we discontinued the 9X35 porro altogether.
"

Looks like I have a first generation (c1983-1987) version and Steve has a later one. The initial info in the post above citing "60's, 70s, and late 80s" obviously was a tad off although the Japanese OEM appears to be correct.

--Bob

Last edited:
I received a literature package from Leupold today which details the 9x35IF history.

Originally introduced in 1983 with a 5 element 3 group eyepiece and 2 element achromatic objective lens all magnesium fluoride hard coated. Then updated in 1987 as "2nd generation" with rubberized knurling on the eyepieces, weight reduction from 23.9 to 20.5 oz, and height reduction from 5 1/8" to 4 1/2". Waterproofing was said to be better. The original leather case was replaced by a Cordura one by Micheals of Oregon. No data was available about whether the eyepiece redesign reduced the number of elements. In 1992 armor finish was introduced with a weight of 23.5 oz and no gold ring. 1994 witnessed a change in name to Wind River which also marked a change in production location. These 9x35s were also armored only. In 1996 the 9x35 was discontinued.

--Bob

Last edited:
It's been a month since my last post to this thread, so this is something of an update: Of my battery of bins my Swaro 7x42B and these vintage '83-'87 Leupold 9x35 IFs have become my two most used.... my "go to" bins if you will :)
binocs_updated.jpg

Very Nice. It has been years since I have used a quality pair of Poro's glad you like yours.
I also have a pair of Leupold Gold ring 9X25 roofs, green armor coated, with pull up eye cups. That I have had for probably 15-18 yrs can't quite remember. I don't think they are water tight maybe weather resistant at best. They use to go wherever I went, on my side, in my brief case etc. I'm a glasses wearer now and much older so IF binoculars are really just a thing of the past. but certainly have great value. Need to get in touch with Leupold get some history on these and a New case for them (I liked the OEM cases)

A couple months ago my 9x35IF Gold Rings went back to the factory for cleaning and adjustment. The service was exemplary and my bins were tweaked to the nth degree with even the field dings smoothed out and blackened. You simply can't beat such service.

Hi Bob A:

I got my 9x35's back from Leupold also, and they did an excellent job. Not only that, I sent them a $15 check for postage....they sent my check back....mailed them to me at their own expense. That made a real impression on me.

Don

Hi Bob A:

I got my 9x35's back from Leupold also, and they did an excellent job. Not only that, I sent them a $15 check for postage....they sent my check back....mailed them to me at their own expense. That made a real impression on me.

Don

Don,

Good deal! These vintage 9x35s are great bins as is the service/support from Leupold!

I've also managed to locate a NIB leather pouch that was originally supplied with these. Nice stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back