• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viking Vistron binos (1 Viewer)

Lulubird

Hi there,

I am relatively new to all this, but I am trying to buy a couple of cheap but good things!

Firstly, I am looking for a pair of binoculars for my boyfriend to come out birding with me. I currently have the RSPB BG PC 8x32 which are ace, but he wants to try something slightly different (and a bit cheaper) - maybe 10x32s or 10x42s and he wants to pay no more than £150 or so. Is this possible?

I am wondering whether anyone has any advice on the viking range? Particularly the Viking Vistron 10 x 42?

I have heard these are good, but does anyone know of any better?

Thanks lots

Lucy

Hi Lucy,

My OH has got a pair of Opticron Discovery 8x42 binoculars, which she really likes. They cost about £125 and there is also a 10x42 model which is usually about £10 dearer. I don't know much about the 10x42, although the field of view is a bit narrower but, if you can find a pair, it might be worth comparing them against the Viking Vistron. I believe Infocus sell them.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

Edit. From the RSPB site it looks as if the Vistrons are £259 and at that price there are probably various other choices.

Ron

Last edited:
Try the Vortex Diamondback at around £150. Waterproof roof prism - good optically and pleasing to use. I think the Discoverys are a wee bit on the chunky and heavy side although the MKII version is reported to be slightly lighter in weight.

I think the Discoverys are a wee bit on the chunky and heavy side although the MKII version is reported to be slightly lighter in weight.

Is that the Opticron Discovery? If so I didn't even realise there was a MkI and MkiI version. The ones we've got are quite short and stubby but at 686g are not exactly light and flimsy little things!

Ron

Ha ha ha....very funny. I'm not sure my boyfriend would like to be exchanged for a pair of binoculars.

On a serious note...Are opticron loads better than viking then?

Only having used Opticron I'm afraid I cant help much, it's all down to personal preference and the size of your pocket. I am happy with what I use.:t:

Check carefully - they may be the same

A Chinese company called Sicong make a binocular called the Navigator. These are oem for many companies. Viking call them the Vistron, Opticron call them the Discovery, Hawke call them the frontier, etc, etc.

Read the specs carefully and don't be fooled by the outer rubber casing which can make them look totally different.

A Chinese company called Sicong make a binocular called the Navigator. These are oem for many companies. Viking call them the Vistron, Opticron call them the Discovery, Hawke call them the frontier, etc, etc.

Read the specs carefully and don't be fooled by the outer rubber casing which can make them look totally different.

Well, if they are all the same binoculars the Hawke Frontiers from this company look a bit of a bargain.

http://www.spcmarketing.co.uk/acatalog/Frontier_10x42.html

Ron

Thanks so much for all your kind comments. Very very helpful. And rather interesting about the binoculars all being the same. How Odd.

I popped out yesterday afternoon and tried a pair of 10x42 Bushnell's and was quite impressed by them. REally clear picture and reduced from £149 to £129. They were a little bit big and heavy though - my only criticism.

Does anyone have any advice to give on Bushnel binos?

Thanks again

Lucy

Actually, even if the binoculars are not all the same, they do take each others binoculars apart, and copy some ideas. So at the same price level you get much the same technology.

Viking GR 8

Edit. From the RSPB site it looks as if the Vistrons are £259 and at that price there are probably various other choices.

Ron[/QUOTE]

Think you mean the Viking GR 8 at £249. I recently bought these and they are great.

...10x32s or 10x42s and he wants to pay no more than £150 or so. Is this possible?
Avoid the 10x32s, 10x42s OK if you like 10x. Some 10x32s may be OK, but not at this price.

Some Bushnell models are heavy. Not sure what you had. You are on your own, I cannot guarantee any Bushnells, though I do have OK legends.

Does anyone have any advice to give on Bushnel binos?

Thanks again

Lucy

Yep avoid "Trophys" , horrid horrid :) , "Discoverers" are great , but heavy (800g) and about £250 !!
Have you thought of "NIKON MONARCH'S" x36 or x42 there light and always get good write ups , id like a pair myself !

i have a pair of the viking navigaters 10 by 42 ,i like them clear good mag and at about 100 pounds or so you could save youself 50;)

The last few times I have been to Minsmere I have noticed people trying, and then buying, Viking Vistrons from the optics counter. They do seem to sell a lot of them.

Looking at them I am prepared to believe they are the same binocular as the Opticron Discovery with cosmetic differences. If so, they are probably very good binoculars for the price – my partner is very pleased with her Discovery 8x42s.

Postcard CV posted a comment recently that the new Opticron Oregon LE 8x32 binoculars are very good at less than £100. I saw a pair the other day and they look very neat and solid. So that's another option now.

Ron

VIKING VISTRON 8x42 - Williams Optics 8x42 APO - REI XR 8x42

Hi men! :eek!:

I think that the VIKING VISTRON 8x42, Williams Optics 8x42 APO and REI XR 8x42 are all the same. I have and I've test the REI XR 8x25 ($80) against PENTAX 8x32 DCF SP (> $350) and I want to tell you that it seems incredible but it's truth. REI has the same real brightness than PENTAX in all glass with 7 mm diameter less. Now I want to tell you too that PENTAX are more sharpness and have more resolution too.
So finally I think that REIS are a good chance for their price.

You can see the specifications and features here: ( Minimum focus distance around 1 meter in all models )

http://www.rei.com/product/759472

http://www.williamoptics.com/binoculars/roof842_features.htm

http://www.vikingoptical.co.uk/viking/bins.htm#vistron

:t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back