• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6x Yosemite vs. Katmai, image quality (1 Viewer)

This week I purchased the Katmai 6x32 and just have to say that I am highly impressed!

Because of rainy weather several days in row I have not been able to make a serious outdoor comparison. But until now I understand that the Katmai 6x32 is something like the optical class of the Yosemite 6x30, but in a more compact and reliable roof performance. This is the perfect allround binocular; for a small sacrifice of magnification you have the brightness of an 8x42 in a size not much larger than a typhical 8/10x25.

Regards, Patric

Thanks for the link Robert!

I am surprised that as well the Katmai 6x32 and Swift 8x44(roof) receive higher rates of the image quality than Pentax 8x43 DCF SP.....

Someone on another thread theorized that stretching the image to the edges makes the lens less sharp at the center
In this thread, Steve Ingraham seems to agree with this idea:
http://www.zbirding.info/zbirders/forums/thread/669.aspx

The poster replied "this was written two years ago". Not sure what his point was except perhaps that other premium roofs have appeared since then (Ingraham said that only one other premium bin had a wider sweet spot than the FLs).

I've compared my Nikon SEs with other bins of the same configuration, and they do not appear to be less sharp on center than the other bins.

So this may have more to do with how a particular EP's lenses are designed and figured rather than a general principle.

For example, if Swift had added a field flattener element to the 804 Aubudon's EPs, would they have needed to reconfigure the EP's other elements such that the centerfield resolution would no longer be as sharp as it was w/out the field flattener?

I'll leave that puzzle for the experts to ponder.

Brock

Last edited:
I've compared my Nikon SEs with other bins of the same configuration, and they do not appear to be less sharp on center than the other bins.
The word "flattener" in the term "field-flattener" would seem to imply that the field is levelled, the edges being improved at the expense of some degradation of the centre. The Nikon SE, being a high quality porro, was presumably so sharp in the centre that its designers felt they had room to sacrifice some of that sharpness for a flat field. And maybe, having the porro's inherent advantage, it was able to sacrifice centre sharpness and still be on a par with top roofs. As someone who doesn't care about the flatness of fields, I wonder what it would be like to look through an SE without the field-flattener.

Michael

The word "flattener" in the term "field-flattener" would seem to imply that the field is levelled, the edges being improved at the expense of some degradation of the centre. The Nikon SE, being a high quality porro, was presumably so sharp in the centre that its designers felt they had room to sacrifice some of that sharpness for a flat field. And maybe, having the porro's inherent advantage, it was able to sacrifice centre sharpness and still be on a par with top roofs. As someone who doesn't care about the flatness of fields, I wonder what it would be like to look through an SE without the field-flattener.
Michael

A field flattner doesn't imply any such thing.

A (perfect) field flattner lens converts a spherical field at the focus (from a spherical lens) to a flat (planar) field. It's not redistributing any resolution from the center to the edge.

It's changing the shape of the field so the occular that designed to expect a flat field can show the whole image in focus at the same.

Of course depending on how accurately the field flattner is constructed it may or may not affect the resolution anywhere in the field. It also affects how flat the field is and how the distortion changes across the field. But you can build a field flattner with a doublet close to the objective focus. But where you place it is problematic (the closer to focus the more likely imprefections in the lens are to mess up the image) so it's placed a little way toward the objective which means you need to make the objective and the flattner lens a little stronger which increases spherical abberation and longitudinal CA.

So for Nikon and Zeiss (and the others) I suspect they may use a aspherical lens in the field flattner to compensate for some of these issues.

The redistribution argument applies to how you design the ocular to match the field presented by the objective and which trade-offs you make with the lenses you can manufacture (spherical or aspherical) across a whole host of parameters. Like all curve fitting you can decide how to constrain the fit: do you want the best fit (in a least squares sense) over the whole field or do you want the sharpest possible fit in the center and a reduced fit at the edge. How do you trade of distortion across the field? And CA? And then you do that for all foci of interest (or according to SI Zeiss only do it for infinity but others may tweak for closer focus too).

Plus there are the complications in manufacture (another doublet or aspherical lens to make and install and keep aligned). Another two glass/air transitions to loose a little bit of light from.

Binocular design (all optics design!) is all about trade-offs and I'm not so sure I believe SI's view that this is the "best possible result (because it's the best Zeiss bin ;) ). The measured results may actually be true (at that time) but is it "the best"?

I think sharpness at the edge of field is often "overrated" because we point the bins to the target and ours eyes have a limited high resolution field of view. But there are edge of field distortions I really dislike too (that aren't sharpness related). But then again people paying almost $2000 for their bin want "perfection" even though it can't actually be done. At least until they have to pony up for the next "best" set of bins in a few years.

Different manufacturers like to make this trade off in different ways too e.g. the Canon IS bins al have a doublet field flattner lens (to help make the IS system work, I think, by having a flat field at the plate they use to shift the image). This gives them edge to edge sharpness but a narrower field of view. That's their trade off but they need for the IS to work and perhaps also to help the perception of sharpness overall of the bin when IS is on (another design goal).

It's all trade offs ... even Steve says this about the FLs in another earlier post:

http://www.zbirding.info/zbirders/forums/thread/54.aspx

Last edited:
Leupold Yosemite 6x30, Katmai 6x32 and Swarovski SLC 7x42

Here is my impression of the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 vs Katmai 6x32 , and a comparison to the Swarovski SLC 7x42:

The very first impression of the Katmai 6x32 is a quality instrument. And so it is, as well optically and mechanically. The Katmai 6x32 can be described as a small version of a fullsize glass. Or a large compact...

The length is only 105mm, which is about the same as a typical 10x25. The diameter of the eyecups are 41mm, however, which is equal size as fullsized glasses. This means that the Katmai 6x32 provides the viewing comfortability and brightness like an 8x42, but with the portability like a much smaller glass.

The image is clear and sharp and the the holding comfortability is much better than compacts due to the thicker barrels. The diameter of the eyelenses is nearly 20mm. The eye relief is great and works well with eyeglasses for me. The focus knob is fullsized and works well without a play.

Well; how it compares to the Yosemite 6x30?

Both of them are in a rubbered waterproof performance with a very equal image as well magnification and FOV.
Though the stated eye relief is 16,6mm for the Katmai it works as good as the Yosemite (with stated ER of 20mm) with eyeglasses on.
Katmai is sharp, but the Yosemite actually provides an even sharper image, as I mentioned before of high-end class.
The TFOV is stated as 8.0 deg for both. When I compare edge sharpness I have problem to decide which is best, I discovered it depends of the distance to the object and where at the field I look at; the edge performance isn't even around the field, which according to my experience is usual for the most binoculars.
Image performance actually is very close between the Katmai and Yosemite. One advantage the Katmai has in comparison to the Yosemite is the inner reflections and ghost images. These come up much stronger in the Yosemite.
Katmai has significantly larger exit pupil, because of as well larger aperture and the fact that the aperture is stopped down to around 28mm of the Yosemite.
At the sky I experience both of them show pinpoint stars.
In my opinion the holding comfortability is better with the Yosemite. The size of the Katmai is a bit too small to provide the holding comfortability of larger roof glasses.

How then compares the Swarovski SLC 7x42 to these? The TFOV of the SLC 7x42 is equal as the Katmai 6x32. The SLC 7x42 provides the best viewing comfortability and enjoyment of these three. There are two reasons:
1: the larger AFOV of 56deg in comparison to around 48deg of the other.
2: the sweet spot is also larger

When panning I be aware of the unsharpness of the edges with both the 6x Leupolds. But never with the SLC 7x42. The field appears to be very flat and the slight unsharpness of the edges really becomes noticable if one try to look for it.

One typical property of roof glasses is the "star-filter effect" which comes up across the field when looking at strong light sources, especially with dark background. This effect is significantly stronger with the Katmai 6x32 than the SLC 7x42.

Conclusion:

The Swarovski SLC 7x42 has the best holding comfortability of these three glasses. It has the best total image quality and provides the best viewing enjoyment. When it comes to image sharpness on-axis the Yosemite comes no to short in comparison to the Swarovski. The SLC 7x42 and Katmai 6x32 are very similar when it comes to inner reflections, very good performance and much better than Yosemite in this respect.

The Katmai has the worst holding comfortability of these three, as well as the worst sharpness. But it's probably the binocular I would choose if I had to choose just ONE of these, YES, IF I HAD TO CHOOSE ONE BINOCULAR AT ALL!. It's a great binocular in my opinion, and worth it's price. The Yosemite is surely even more priceworthy. But the porro design has it's strong shortcomings with the outer focusing system, which is a very fragile part of the instrument. Also the porro design in it self is more fragile and more easily get out of collimation. It's not a very suitable glass to bring with you for backpacking or tours in the mountains. For this purpose the Swarovski SLC 7x42 is too large and heavy, in my opinion. Then the Katmai 6x32 is the perfect choice! It's a great compromise between size and brightness, nearly a compact glass providing a very clear image even at low light conditions. Yes, it may fail to unveil some details which is possible with higher power glasses. But it will provide a steady image even when you are tired in your arms after a long way skiing. When the size and weight doesn't matter I take the Swarovski 7x42, but when I really get out in the field or a holiday trip I will bring with me the Katmai 6x32. As a binoholic I love all these three glasses. They all have their charm....

Regards, Patric

Hi Patric,

Very good review and real world opinion. I believe we spoke about this before... the Katmai is the one to use in the field. I purchased a pair for my father a year ago and every time I visit I take these out in the woods.

This 6x Katmai is a binocular that after you use for a while you question the more expensive options. Yes, it has shortcomings but the benefits are many. A very good example of a binocular doing what it promises for the price.

Also, like my personal 7x Meoptas, the lower magnification and larger exit pupil offer
benefits you will grow to love. Anyone who is a critic of lower magnification should spend a month with a pair of 7 or 6x. The wide views and ease of use are addicting!

all best

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back