• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (4 Viewers)

No, it wasn't observed anymore today. Luck really has left them, however given that both the Stonechat and the Shrike were very close by they should've have moved earlier. The whole twitching doesn't really seem to be their thing. Let's hope for them that they'll have better luck with the regular species they still need

All quiet in Kuwait at the moment. A long period of unseasonal southerly winds is not helping. There were 2 or 3 Shikra over the last few weeks but all migrants, none have stayed so far. The only other bird of interest in recent weeks was a Yellow Browed Warbler that I found at Mutla Ranch last Monday. Not sure I'd rushing here at the moment!

Azerbaijan then? There's a Pallas's Fish Eagle been seen today at Besh Barmeg. Just once, i should follow up my own hunches!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1159403294091905&id=138578262841085

Per FB; they missed the Danish Stejneger's Stonechat yesterday, but are flying to Iceland tomorrow - perhaps in a change of fortune, a Hermit Thrush has been discovered there today too....

Per FB; they missed the Danish Stejneger's Stonechat yesterday, but are flying to Iceland tomorrow - perhaps in a change of fortune, a Hermit Thrush has been discovered there today too....

And they added Steller's Eider today close to Oslo! So the change of fortune has already begun to shape...

... a Hermit Thrush has been discovered there today too....

Interestingly Hermit is the Catharus thrush with the most records in Iceland while Grey-cheeked and Swainson's Thrush have more records in UK! (edit to make the really bad English a little less bad :))

Last edited:
About the Abyssinian roller in Nouadhibou, Mauritania. I have seen several claims that Nouadhibou is in the Western Palearctic but it well below the 21st parallel and not in maritime Banc' d'Arguin. I understand they are the only two areas in Muaritania according to Beaman et al in the WP. Of course the peninsula containing Nouadhibou is split between two countries. As I understand it, the northern side of the peninsula is in western sahara which is defined as WP but the south side isnt as it is in Mauritania but below 21 degrees north.

For me the Abyssinian roller was 5 metres outside the WP. It was in Mauritania in the allotments right next to but not over the border in Western Sahara.

So 730 under the belt and still 25 regulars to target:-

Iceland:-
Harlequin Duck

Norway:-
Yellow-billed Loon
Grey-headed Chickadee
Gyrfalcon

Cape Verde:-
Fea's Petrel
Cape Verde Shearwater
Boyd's Shearwater
Red-billed Tropicbird
Brown Booby
Helmeted Guineafowl
Cape Verde Swift
Grey-headed Kingfisher
Iago Sparrow
Cape Verde Storm Petrel
Magnificent Frigatebird
Cape Verde Buzzard
Raso Lark
Cape Verde Warbler

Canaries:-
Houbara Bustard
Bolle's Pigeon
Laurel Pigeon
Fuerteventura Chat
Canary Islands Chiffchaff
Tenerife Blue Chaffinch
Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch

(Names deliberately to provoke Nutcracker! Only kidding. From spreadsheet.........)

Plus of course a number of other potentials.

All the best

Last edited:
With Barrow's Goldeneye now at 730 species (amazing number - and it's just beginning of November!):
http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/

But that could mean that they didn't see Hermit Thrush...

Correct, no Hermit Thrush, a one day bird, but we did see plenty of Harlequins together this morning despite the abominable conditions. This afternoon is a complete write-off weatherwise but they still have tomorrow for Gyr Falcon.

So 730 under the belt and still 25 regulars to target:
Magnificent Frigatebird

All the best

Are you sure that the Frigatebird is gettable at he moment on Cabo Verde islands? As far as I know there were almost no Frigatebirds reported there this year until mid October at least.

Wilson's Snipe would be an option, but with their bad luck recently I doubt they can get their spirits high enough to go for it

Gyr Falcon in the bag this morning. One of the trio saw one yesterday while driving but it disappeared before the others could get on to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back