• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Scrub Jays eat all the food (1 Viewer)

dianeu

Recently added bird feeders to my garden. California Scrub Jays have discovered them. They come in large groups (15-20) and eat/take/knock out all of the food within 4 hours, so the feeders are then always empty. It’s a bit like “The Birds” when they’re around. I’m new to this, is there some food that’s undesirable to them? I’d like to find a way to deter them without deterring the other lovely birds.

I can't suggest a foodthat would help but you can use feeders with a wire "fence" (for want of a better word) with squares that the jays can't enter but smaller birds can. I've seen that type of setup used successfully for Blue Jays.

I dont know why people discriminate against the larger birds or call them trouble birds or pest birds it makes no sense to me. Some people even get bird feeders to prevent the bigger ones or ones they dont like from feeding. I love my Jays and they fit ok on my bird feeder but I put a bunch of seed on the ground so they can eat too while the smaller birds work on the feeder

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back