• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roll over title font (1 Viewer)

d.steeley

England
Hi ll. I have a w10 (version 1709) PC with a 27" monitor. The system font appeared quite small (drop down menus/dialogue boxes/bookmarks and favorites lists) which I'm told is an effect of having a high resolution monitor. To increase the text size I have downloaded WinTools which seems to have solved the problem. However, if I roll the mouse over the thread title the dialogue box that is displayed is still too small for me to read without donning my specs and getting closer to the screen. Is there a setting in "Birdforum" that can increase the text or is it still part of the W10 operating system?

Cheers

Dave

PS: Please note all other parts of my viewing are ok, I don't need to increase the size of the page or everything else as happens using the W10 display settings. I can also use Ctrl + to increase sizes but not in this case.

Which browser are you using? there probably is a text size setting in the browser you can change. You could even have one browser installed that you always use for BF and has the larger size font as default if other web pages shows well with current settings.

Niels

Hi Niels, I'm using Chrome. I've tried the font settings in Chromes settings but sadly it makes no difference. Will try with Edge or Firefox.

Thanks

Dave

This could be an CCS vs. browser issue. Nerdiness beyond:

I checked-out the HTML for the forums and the class for the rollover text is "alt1" and according to the CCS this is specifically cited as "10pt verdana" for the font.

My CCS is a bit rusty, but I think the use of a very specific point size like this means it will ignore browser zoom settings.

If that's not the case, it may simply be that there CCS is a bit malformed and the ahover command for that rollover text is ignoring the browser zoom as a result. I seem a few other instances for very specific font sizes and those seem to zoom okay.

Also possible this is normal behavior for ahover text?

W3C Jigsaw cites 3 errors and 48 warnings for an example search result page, so this kinda mess sometimes creates rendering conflicts.

Alot of forum software isn't 508 compliant (heck, much of the web isn't), unfortunately, so that could be the underlying problem. 508 compliance can be tricky if not there from the ground-up. "508 compliance" is the web's implementation of ADA.​

Short answer: it's essentially a bug of some sort in either the style code (HTML/CCS) or in the rendering engine specifications that maybe only switching browsers will fix for the time being.

Be interesting if there are more talented web gurus here that could explain the specifics. I'm 4 years out of the web QA gig, which can be an eternity. |8)|

Hi Kevin and Niels, thank you both for your replies. Happily, because of your replies I have now sorted the problem by trying Firefox. The roll over boxes are much larger and clearer than when I use Chrome.

Cheers

Dave

if you are happy with firefox, it is getting bloated but still worthy.
i am rusty with this but:
try entering chrome://flags as address and if i recall correctly under 'font scaling' you can disable caching which may help if page is preloading some scripts.
turn it back to default easily enough if it doesnt change owt.

otherwise if only on this site send a message to website admin/designer as they may need to look at their scripts

Last edited:
There are probably several style plugins for Chrome should anyone else stumble across this kind of problem. These vBulletin forums are not the most accessible (awful on a phone) so that setting CSS per site can be a great help for the less dextrous or visually impaired. Just post for a how to when the time comes if you run into difficulty... One of us geeky types can probably help :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back