• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift 8x42 Reliant Binocular (1 Viewer)

xuancool

Does anybody know Swift 8x42 Reliant Binocular? The features are good, but I can't find any review online.
Is this model good at this price range(about $80 on sale)? This price is very low for 8x42, even cheaper than bushnell powerview 8x42. So I am wondering the quality.

Key Features

• BaK4, PC- Phase Corrected Optics prism for maximum light gathering

• FMC- Fully Multi-coated Optics for crisp views

• Smooth Rubber Armored for durability

• Retractable Rubber Eyecups favor eyeglass wearers

• Close focus to under 6.5 feet

Thanks for any suggestion.

Hi Xuancool, 'Birdwatching Review', February 2008, did a group test and a Swift Reliant came out as "best roof prism under £150". I haven't seen the test myself. Bear in mind it's roughly $2=£1, so you'd be paying $80 (£40) for a model which sells for £115 ($230) over here... I've never understood why we in the UK pay so much more, often double, the price in the USA. It's much the same with cameras and cars... Outrageous!
When I saw the name "Swift Reliant", it reminded me of the "Robin Reliant" (sic) owned by Del Boy in 'Only Fools and Horses'... (the most popular UK TV comedy ever). Sorry if you haven't seen it and therefore don't get the joke, but the Robin was a 3-wheel car in appalling condition, even worse than Columbo's battered Peugeot! Anyway, it sounds as though the Swift Reliant has so far been well received... Jim.

Thank you James. I found the news also, when I searched reviews for the swift. I can't see the test either, so I don't know the detail, like competitor, of it. If somebody know that, could you please post some information? Thanks.

they tested 12 pairs all below £150. 4 porro prisms, hawke black watch, opticron aspheric, visionary hd and bushnell natureview. also 8 roof prism, hawke endurance, hawke blackwatch, bushnell h20, bushnell powerview, avian trekker, burris landmark, visionary wetland, all round about 8x42 some 8x40.
all were tested for brightness, resolution/ image sharpness, field of view and colour cast.
the natureview came out best overall but despite what the mag says, they are not waterproof. the reliants were best roof prism, scoring, optics 8, design 9, value for money 9, thats at £116 though.
review reads 'good 1st impression, brightness, contrast, and sharpness all pretty good, with only slight softness to the edges. very slight pinkish cast. close focus among best in test. compact, light, excellent build quality. focus precision was very good, wheel was not too tight or light.' i did edit that a bit, as if you couldn't tell, but they really didn't say a bad word about them. i think the fact these are waterproof makes them better than the natureview.
i need a new pair of binoculars and i think i might go for the swift reliant, all be it at alot more than you would have to pay.
hope this helps, send me a message if theres anything else you would like to know about the review in the magazine.
adam

Excellent precis, valiantbirder.

Another one liner review at a camera store in the UK seems to like them

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-swift-reliant-8x42-roof-prism-binocular.htm

The home page for them is

http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/products/binoculars/744

One things that stands out (aside from the review comments) is that it weights only 20.6oz/585g even though it's not particularly compact at 6.3 x 5.1 x 2.4" (171 x 130 x 62mm) WxHxD. I think that's the lightest 8x42 I've come across. More the weight of an 8x32.

7.0 degree FOV and 56 degree AFOV is good.

The spec is a little vague on rubber eyecups too. They are twist up not roll down.

Sells for about $105 in the USA.

Interesting bin. I'd love to see a write up from a forum user. Especially on the "off the spec" questions: How bright is it? What is the field curvature like? What is the field distortion like? How does it respond to stray light? How does it feel? How is the shake?

How is it compared to say the Leupold Yosemite and the Vortex Diamondback? Similar bins at a similar price point.

Answers on a postcard ... ;)

A bit too blingy for my taste, though.

Michael

We birders are a very conservative breed. I see the new Opticron Aurora is available in three different finishes including black with satin silver trim. I bet the best seller by miles is the all black version (which, regrettably, is the one I would choose too.)

I don't know anything about the Swift Reliant but I rate my Swift HHS roofs very highly indeed.

Ron

We birders are a very conservative breed. I see the new Opticron Aurora is available in three different finishes including black with satin silver trim. I bet the best seller by miles is the all black version (which, regrettably, is the one I would choose too.)

I don't know anything about the Swift Reliant but I rate my Swift HHS roofs very highly indeed.

Ron

I think were pragmatic too.

Silver bits on a birding bin? It's going to catch a glint and sending it in the birds direction (just when you have a bird almost IDed ;) ).

I have a Celestron C50 scope (not great but not bad and very light) but it's silver coated plastic so it lights up in the sun plus because it's a big convex surface it catches the sun and glints back to the birder regardless (pretty much) were the birder and sun are.

So I'm not a fan of "da bling". But I'm not a great fan of anonymous black either. The bins cooks in the sun for a start!

Muted colors work well: dark grey is nice, dark green (of course is a standard), light or dark brown, even Leupold's Yosemite's light greenish tan (I have one and its perhaps a little to bright and it shows dirty easily) and their "red" which is more terra cotta which looks rather rather good too.

But I fear silver is to catch the (human) eye in the store.

Though if you want bling in bins you need to leave that to the Russians.

http://www.baigish.ru/eng/products_c/souvenir_b/

Purple and gold. Double-headed eagles cut into the ruby coating on the lenses. Now that's bling ;)

I see this thread was from a few years back, but I am looking at these binoculars to possibly purchase and wondered if anybody has them. If so, how are they? Would you recommend them? I wear glasses, and this heavily impacts my decision. I am new to bird watching and was looking at the following binoculars:

Swift Reliant 8x42
http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/reliant8x42.cfm#tabs
Bushnell Natureview 8x42
http://www.binoculars.com/binocular...ell8x42roofprismwaterproofbinoculars.cfm#tabs
Zhumell Short barrel 8x42
http://www.binoculars.com/binocular...ulars/8x42shortbarrelwaterproofbinoculars.cfm

Any advice from seasoned bird watchers who also watch their wallets is greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.

Hi Trayster,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

If you wear glasses the eye relief of the binocular is very important. Generally speaking the longer the e.r. (eye relief) the better it will be for you. Look for something with e.r. of 17mm or more.

If you can swing another $100.00 for a binocular I highly recommend the Vortex 8 x 42 Diamondback. I have one and it is an excellent binocular for the money in all respects. It is rugged, has a very wide field of view and 18mm eye relief. It should last for years. And the warranty is as good as there is in the business. See link below from Eagle Optics. You can also find a lot of useful binocular information there.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-diamondback-8x42-binocular

Good luck,
Bob

Last edited:
Hi Cesar,
Thanks for the great advice. I did check out the Vortex pair you recommended on Binoculars.com, and in doing so, I was led to the Vortex Crossfires, and then to the Nikon Trailblazers 8x42, which seem to be a great choice for its price. They have a 19.7 eye relief (I wear strong prescription glasses). Although they seem a bit heavy at 25.4oz., I do like their warranty as well,

Thanks so much again... I will probably spend more money and choose a Vortex Diamondback once I become an avid birder, but for now, I will choose these to learn the sport. Thanks!

"da bling"

Swift introduced "da bling" into its line in 1958, possibly with the 804 Audubon. I wonder if it had anything to do with space technology--all that polished aluminum.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back