• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birders Yearlist Challenge (1 Viewer)

Hi Johnny getting out birding tomorrow so expect an update. Today I had two new year ticks; Goldfinch and Snipe, the latter strangely my first species of wader for the year. Snipes and Woodcocks seem to be coming into the towns cos of the cold weather. I'm happy to have reached 30 species without leaving Aberdeen itself. I'm looking forward to the birding year ahead. ;)

Managed to get 6 more of the commoner species today, Coot, Shoveler, Pochard, Gadwall, Pheasant and Long Tailed Tit. Also took delivery of the new Collins guide to birds of britain and europe, a great book if anyone if thinking of getting it.
Well done, I got out today and added Water Rail to my list so im now on 80:t:
My collins guide is coming next week sometimeo:D

Hi Jonny, please can you change my total to 116. Today I added Canada Goose, Peregrine, Smew, Goosander, Caspian Gull, Green Woodpecker and Kingfisher and again still now news on the pacific diver :-C.

1st) Robert Williamson (Norfolk, GB) - 116 species *Poss. 117*
2nd) Zac Hinchcliffe (Lancashire, GB) - 83 species
3rd) Joseph N (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 82 species
4th) Jonny721 (Lancashire, GB) - 81 species
5th) Ash1456 (Cornwall, GB) - 80 species
6th) Billsbirding (Surrey, GB) - 62 species
7th) Dark Knight (Kent, GB) - 61 species
8th) Loufish (London, GB) - 54 species
9th) Birding Maniac (GB) - 46 species
10th) nrg800 (AU) - 42 species
11th) The Seagull (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 14 species
12th) UtahnBirder (Utah, USA) - 9 species

Another 4 added today, Treecreeper, Jay, Raven and Sparrowhawk.

Last edited:
Had my first birding day of the year today, and I am happy to say it was a cracker. Got 52 new species for the year today from my previous total of 30 species, which brings my year list now up to 82. Highlights of the day 2 Hen Harriers (one male and a ringtail), a female Merlin, brilliant views of the White-tailed Eagle, 25 Snow Bunting, 20 Twite,, a Water Rail and a lifer in the form of a Brambling, a bogey bird cleaned up on! All these species were seen at the Loch of Strathbeg. Also had a Woodcock in the city itself on the way back. Along with this, there were basically all the winter ducks and other expected winter species. It was a brilliant day, one of my best in a while! :t:

Sounds like a great day Joseph. That means it's very close between 2nd and 5th with only 4 species seperating all 4 places.

Can you also add 1 more to my total please I added Crossbill today :)

and also TheSeagull your Wagtail is most likely to be Pied, white would be rare for this time of the year

TheSeagull your Wagtail is most likely to be Pied, white would be rare for this time of the year
I could be wrong but are we using the BOU list, if so white is counted as pied and not a separate species (I think) so it wouldn't matter which it was. As I said Im probably wrong tho.
Also well done Robert, :t: your way ahead now

I could be wrong but are we using the BOU list, if so white is counted as pied and not a separate species (I think) so it wouldn't matter which it was. As I said Im probably wrong tho.
Also well done Robert, :t: your way ahead now

Hi Ash, Yes you are right Pied Wag and White Wag are the same species on the BOU list however they are split on the UK400 list.

and thanks Ash, I feel I've had a good start to the year but still need some common species like GSW lol

Could you put me on 66 please, Jonny. I've seen almost 50 of those through the bedroom window! With the additions of Song Thrush, Fieldfare and Blackcap these last few days

Good stuff guys. It'll be interesting to see how things stand with the new update. Ash, Pallid Harrier might be a great bird to both see and have on your year list if it sticks around and you go down and see it. ;)

1st) Robert Williamson (Norfolk, GB) - 117 species *Poss. 118*
6th) Billsbirding (Surrey, GB) - 66 species
8th) Birding Maniac (GB) - 57 species
9th) Loufish (London, GB) - 54 species
11th) The Seagull (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 16 species

Last edited:
Good stuff guys. It'll be interesting to see how things stand with the new update. Ash, Pallid Harrier might be a great bird to both see and have on your year list if it sticks around and you go down and see it. ;)
Yeah one for the weekend, I haven't a clue on how to ID Pallid Harriers but the pics look similar to other pics I have seen. Images on rare bird info part of BF for anyone interested

Sorry for being a late starter - I've only just come across this thread. Great idea!

As of Jan 12, I'm on 66 in the UK for 2010 - highlight so far, 8 Woodlark at Southerndown in Glamorgan.

Geth (GB)

1st) Robert Williamson (Norfolk, GB) - 117 species *Poss. 118*
6th) Billsbirding (Surrey, GB) - 66 species
6th)Geth (Glamorgan, GB) - 66 species
8th) Birding Maniac (GB) - 57 species
9th) Loufish (London, GB) - 54 species
11th) The Seagull (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 16 species
^^^ is this right and up-to-date?
Welcome to Birdforum Geth, Great start to the year!!
why not check out our birding related (and some times not :t:) ramblings in the main "Young Birder" thread

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back