• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New scope from Zeiss... (1 Viewer)

Telephoto lenses don't normally have as many as 14 elements, but zoom lenses do.
Maybe the 14 elements is for the whole system, or indeed it is a zoom lens.

Harpia scope will probably be similar to the photoscope (see photo below) so there will be more elements in there compared to a conventional spotting scope. Coatings and glass are so good these days so transmission will probably not suffer much, but will be interesting to see and I hope they put some HT-glass in there. The smaller exit pupil (seems to be about 1 stop slower) compared to other large scopes might be more of an issue in low light. Keeping the exit pupil smaller might help with minimizing aberrations though.

Attachments

• zeiss-photoscope.jpg
    zeiss-photoscope.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Its a zoom alright but the optical design is not based on the Photoscope at all, although the concept is similar. More info follows in next week or two.

Lee

Interesting/puzzling that Zeiss now seem to have removed the info on exit-pupil in the specs.

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics...es/victory-harpia-spektiv.html#technical-data

Hi VB

Yes it is interesting isn't it. Since Harpia is not in the shops yet (and in view of the restructuring taking place within Zeiss Sports Optics productionising has probably taken longer than Zeiss wished) it may be that the final specs might be changed a bit following production by normal processes rather than prototyping, but I have no info on this.

Lee

Hi VB

Yes it is interesting isn't it. Since Harpia is not in the shops yet (and in view of the restructuring taking place within Zeiss Sports Optics productionising has probably taken longer than Zeiss wished) it may be that the final specs might be changed a bit following production by normal processes rather than prototyping, but I have no info on this.

Lee

Hey Lee,

If the scopes have been changed wouldn't it make more sense to revise the exit pupil specs rather than dropping them completely?

Another less innocent explanation is that Zeiss came to realize that including exit pupil specs tips off alert consumers about the loss of aperture at low magnifications - something Zeiss would rather not reveal.

Henry

Saw the following in a Birdguides review of the harpia:

"In a departure from earlier models, the tripod foot is not compatible with a Manfrotto 200 PL plate."

Does anyone know what this means? Is it that the thread required to fit the telescope foot is different in some way to the traditional? Confused?!

......another less innocent explanation is that Zeiss came to realize that including exit pupil specs tips off alert consumers about the loss of aperture at low magnifications - something Zeiss would rather not reveal.

Henry

I'd think that not many people spend Zeiss kind of money without ever reading the reviews.

Hey Lee,

If the scopes have been changed wouldn't it make more sense to revise the exit pupil specs rather than dropping them completely?

Another less innocent explanation is that Zeiss came to realize that including exit pupil specs tips off alert consumers about the loss of aperture at low magnifications - something Zeiss would rather not reveal.

Henry

This explanation is an obvious one but I don't believe it is correct due to something I have been working on with Zeiss for publication on here. Sorry to be mysterious but expect to post something in the next couple of weeks.

Lee

My Post 61 maybe.
It took me almost a day from the specs release to realise there was something fishy about the exit pupil.
Not sure if Zeiss were pleased or not, or if they read these posts.

I usually try to measure the clear aperture of everything.

There was a case of a new aircraft being announced, with a photo.
The makers wish they hadn't, as someone measured the size of the piston engines blades, calculated the power, range and everything just from the photo.

Also the wingspan size release of another aircraft allowed me to determine a cruising height way above the published ceiling.

Saw the following in a Birdguides review of the harpia:

"In a departure from earlier models, the tripod foot is not compatible with a Manfrotto 200 PL plate."

Does anyone know what this means? Is it that the thread required to fit the telescope foot is different in some way to the traditional? Confused?!

A few scopes have had a foot that fits directly into some smaller Manfrotto video heads. Might be handy, but the Harpia is too long and heavy to be a good match to those quite small heads in my opinion. All serious video heads that can take heavier gear have sliding plates of some sort (the 200 PL is fixed on the head).

To be able to balance a large scope properly, a longer plate that you can adjust back and forth, is often needed. Especially if adding digiscoping equipment.

Last edited:
This explanation is an obvious one but I don't believe it is correct due to something I have been working on with Zeiss for publication on here. Sorry to be mysterious but expect to post something in the next couple of weeks.

Lee

Excellent! Looking forward to it.

Henry

Telephoto lenses don't normally have as many as 14 elements, but zoom lenses do.

A bit OT but, increasing number of lens elements seems to be the new normal in camera lenses.

All the latest Nikon telephoto prime lenses have at least 16 elements, the 800mm lens has as many as 20.

When it comes to zooms the brand new Nikon 180-400mm zoom have 27 elements in 19 groups. And that does not include the built in teleconverter that has 8 elements in 5 groups.

My guess is that the power of optical computer simulation is developing rapidly and makes these kinds of lens designs possible.

Hi,

I fully expected sth like this - it's more of a telephoto lens than a telescope. Radically new approach for spotting scopes - we will see how it works out.

You can read the whole thread for more info on the implications of the new design.

Joachim

I followed the scope from the beginning so I understand the principle of this design, though this lens count still came as a surprise.
I think that will have some impact, especially in twilight situation, which is so important for birders, small effective aperture + low light throughput.
I can't wait to see the real thing and how does Zeiss cope with this.

Hi Vespobuteo.
The large number of lens elements for primes usually comes with a fast speed lens.

TTH T.V. and movie zoom lenses commonly had 25 elements, sometimes more, in the 1960s. Each group was hand assembled and matched.
The secret to their success was tunable multicoating and other in house methods.
Early computers were used to design them.

The reason nowadays is computers, but mainly sophisticated coating to produce a 27 element commercial lens.
I suppose Nikon has caught up with TTH by now.

Hey Lee,

Henry

No conspiracy Henry, more like a SNAFU, the data is back on the website, and it always was in the owners manual and current nature brochure, as well as being in the forefront of my mystery project that I hope to publish on here next week.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back