• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

M42 Lens for Insects flower closeups (1 Viewer)

RichardH2

Hi all. I have a Canon EOS M and use an adapter to mount M42 lenses as they are cheaper than the canon lenses.

Could anyone recommend what M42 lens I should be looking at to get very close up images of insects and flowers?

Hints on make, focal length, f stop would all be great as I know very little about the technicalities.

Thanks, RichardH.

RichardH2,
On the used items market you may be able to find the folowing M42 macrolenses; Asahi SMC Macro-Takumar 4,0/100mm, Asahi Macro-Takumar 4,0/50 mm, KilfittMakrokilar 2,8/40mm, Panagor M 42 3,0/55mm macro, Panagor M42, 2,8/90 m macro, Panagor M42 Macro adapter, Tamron 2,5/90 mm (has exchangeable adapters for many brands), Asahi helicoid macro ring, etc. The hunt may be a lot of fun,
Gijs van Ginkel

RichardH2,
On the used items market you may be able to find the folowing M42 macrolenses; Asahi SMC Macro-Takumar 4,0/100mm, Asahi Macro-Takumar 4,0/50 mm, KilfittMakrokilar 2,8/40mm, Panagor M 42 3,0/55mm macro, Panagor M42, 2,8/90 m macro, Panagor M42 Macro adapter, Tamron 2,5/90 mm (has exchangeable adapters for many brands), Asahi helicoid macro ring, etc. The hunt may be a lot of fun,
Gijs van Ginkel

The Tamron 90mm is a great lens and handles nicely too. It can be used with Tamron's X2 SP converter or Tamron's own extension tube and makes a versatile set-up.

I was speaking recently with a fellow photographer who works for Carl Zeiss and we soon found out that we had both used this lens and both have immense affection and respect for it still today.

Lee

Bit late to this party, but i can also recommend the Tam SP 90mm , although mine is the later f2.8 model. The f2.5 is just as good

I stuck a 12mm ext. tube on, manual focus, F13, ISO 200, 1/3rd flash and got this little spider ( size reference on the photo with a ballpoint pen ) probably around 8mm in size.

Attachments

• Tiny spider 1.jpg
    Tiny spider 1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Tiny spider.jpg
    Tiny spider.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 23
If you haven't found it yet, I have a Panagor 90mm f2,8 macro. The attack, however, is "Canon FD" and therefore you will have greater macro magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back