• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for Nikon ED82 ? (2 Viewers)

...Benro Mach3 TMA38CL Carbon Fibre 4 Section Tripod...

I got the aluminum version of that tripod for my students to use. It is nice and big and tall and operates well. I assume the CF version damps vibration better. One flaw is that it has the center column design (seen on many Chinese tripods) that doesn't entirely secure the center column from rotating a few degrees each way, no matter how hard the column lock is tightened--an irritation sometimes when panning with a fluid head.

--AP

As I wrote in the post #3 just two years ago, since I bought a secondhand Nikon ED 82A I always it paired with a Velbon GEO 630N, a three-section carbon tripod - also used-. It is suited to my height: for comfort observation with my ED82 angled model, I had to take into account a tripod with an height (column all retracted) of 130-131cm to which should be added further 9/10 cm for the head on top. In your case, Steppsch, with the ED 82 straight model, the Manfrotto 055 could be OK or be still inadequate: you have to consider the height at the eye level, with a certain accuracy, making a simple calculation.

The head on it is still the Manfrotto 701 HDV, a fine fluid head that did not obtain the success and the spread it deserves in my opinion.
This set is pretty light and manageable, but sufficiently solid and I observe in a windy area. To gain extra stability, a soft pochette can be used as a stone bag, tightening the first leg section: I have used it very seldom (in the trunk of my car I am keeping an old 2 kg-weight for balance...) however. In the old line of Velbon carbon tripods, there was a couple of upper models (730 830 If I remember correctly) best suited for tall persons.

In a very few cases (observations at a fixed location and some meters away from my car...) I have tried a rock steady combo (Berlebach Report 3022 + Manfrotto HDV 501 video head), extremely heavy and large, as stated.
But this set of mine actually is that one I planned for the use with the Celestron C5: my Berlebach wooden tripod is also quite tall, with 143 cm (with column retracted without head: it has just two leg sections, very long however): I had purchased it before for a straight model, the Leica APO Televid 77.

Last edited:
I got the aluminum version of that tripod for my students to use. It is nice and big and tall and operates well. I assume the CF version damps vibration better. One flaw is that it has the center column design (seen on many Chinese tripods) that doesn't entirely secure the center column from rotating a few degrees each way, no matter how hard the column lock is tightened--an irritation sometimes when panning with a fluid head.

--AP

Hi Alexis

I haven't tried the aluminium version so I can't comment but I did have a bigger CF Benro with a similar locking mechanism and didn't have any problems. I've not noticed it either on other non Benro aluminium tripods with a similar mechanism.

I tried the CF 38 in a shop and didn't notice anything so hopefully the issue doesn't afflict it but it is something I will need to check before purchase.

Hi Alexis

I haven't tried the aluminium version so I can't comment but I did have a bigger CF Benro with a similar locking mechanism and didn't have any problems. I've not noticed it either on other non Benro aluminium tripods with a similar mechanism.

I tried the CF 38 in a shop and didn't notice anything so hopefully the issue doesn't afflict it but it is something I will need to check before purchase.

I find the problem exists in most tripods that have a groove in the center column to (otherwise) prevent rotation.

--AP

Thank you all for your answers.

I've found a cheap offer with a used Manfrotto 055 XPROB and Manfrotto 701 HDV head. So I will try this combination for my ED82 at first.

Matthias

My Manfrotto 3236 and Manfrotto 501 head held this Orion 100 ED really well. I used an adapter piece of aluminum with this. I used the same tripod and head with my Nikon 82 ED A spotter but not the aluminum adapter.

Attachments

• orion 100ED,fall pictures 008 (800x532)1.jpg
    orion 100ED,fall pictures 008 (800x532)1.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Thank you all for your answers.

I've found a cheap offer with a used Manfrotto 055 XPROB and Manfrotto 701 HDV head. So I will try this combination for my ED82 at first.

Matthias

The Manfrotto 701 HDV (though no longer made) is a pretty good head - well I like mine;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back