• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 2007 Leupold Binoculars (1 Viewer)

I guarantee you the wight of the 7/12x32 will not be that low. I remember when the original Golden Rings were introduced the weight was said to be something like 27oz. When they actually became available the weight was 33oz! Look for them to weigh at least what the 8x32 weighs.

I had the opportunity to try a pair of the Leupold Golden Ring 8x32 HDs. They are very nice binoculars. As others have noted, they are heavy for an 8x32--27 oz, the same as my Victory II 8x40s. The heft isn't bothersome, but it is noticable. I thought the eye relief wasn't a problem; I am an eyeglass wearer most of the time. As far as image goes, except for slightly less brightness than the 8x40s, they are very bright. I think the FOV figures are true, 420 ft/1000yd, which is very good. Close focusing is outstanding, probably unequalled by any of the Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski line (I think only Brunton's Epoch claims to focus any closer.) Comparing it to the last generation Victorys I have, they have certainly no worse CA, an probably a little less.

The ergonomics are very good. I had no discomfort holding them and did not find the strap lugs placement a problem. The PD is easily adjusted and can be locked in place with a twist dial at the front of the hinge assembly. The armoring is a dark brown rubber with a pebbled texture with an overall high-quality feel. There are objective covers that flip off and are attached to the barrels by an open rubber ring, so they can be removed altogether. The eyepiece cover is the same rubber in a single binocular unit and can be attached to the neck strap. There is a padded zippered ballistic nylon case that is large--much larger than the bins--but very well constructed with a heavy zipper closure. The binoculars are sold with a chest harness and a neoprene neck strap. All of these items can fit within the case with room to spare.

The only criticism I have of these binoculars is that packed they cube-out and weigh as much as many 8x42s, which makes them less appealing as a compact binocular. Pricing might be an issue for some, street price sets them squarely between the lower-priced Nikon LXLs and the 8x32 compacts from Leica and Zeiss. I can't say they are better enough than the Nikons to be worth $300 more. The company designs and assembles these bins in the USA in Oregon. Their glass supplier isn't named in their literature (my guess, Hoya; manufacturers that buy from Schott AG usually say so).

Those who favor Leupold's brand and like the company will not be disappointed if cost is not so much an issue.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back