• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiffchaffs (1 Viewer)

Seen, heard and shot on Sunday :) Great to watch too, as he flew out over the river, flapped his wings vertically to hover, as if hunting insects in the air, then back onto the branches.

Attachments

• chiff_filtered.jpg
    chiff_filtered.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 68
Had at least 6 singing around Woolhampton gravel pit in the Thames valley on Saturday, only saw two of them though,also cettis have started singing again but only two so far,
needless to say I didn`t see them!

I heard 1 last Saturday at Upton Warren, Worcestershire. I saw 2 yesterday while on a woodland walk that is just in the South Staffordshire border and a Wheatear! An exciting time of year!

Heard a few reports but not heard or seen one myself yet. Anyone else?
I've heard at least 3 birds singing at Fairburn Ings, tho' two are certainly over-winterers... which raises the question of just how many 'first arrivals' are in fact 'never went-ers' now reaping the benefit of having hung on in there... and this after (what the young at least believe to be!) a particularly harsh winter.

I've heard at least 3 birds singing at Fairburn Ings, tho' two are certainly over-winterers... which raises the question of just how many 'first arrivals' are in fact 'never went-ers' now reaping the benefit of having hung on in there... and this after (what the young at least believe to be!) a particularly harsh winter.

Fair point that, as overwinters are reported more and more. Can't recall encountering any down our stretch of river over winter, but who's to say that a "migration" may well have been to the south of the country, rather than further afield?

Heard my first of the year Sunday morning, from my garden between Wrexham and Mold in north Wales. If they are over winterers then they haven't been doing so very locally; I watch from the garedn a great deal and haven't had Chiffchaff since a single bird on November 29th (30th?) last year, and that's the only one since 8th October.

James

A good point raised! We will not know which we have seen or heard, 'first arrivals' or 'never went-ers'! Still a joy to see and hear on their return to our local patches though!:t:

None here on the local patch as yet, despite a thourgh search with eyes and ears this afternoon. Anyday now I guess.

Had a couple of calling birds in Suffolk two weeks ago and two more in east Norfolk yesterday - no singers yet...

Keep an eye on BirdTrack to follow the arrival (bottom graph is most informative), which does seem to be a little bit earlier than last year:
http://blx1.bto.org/bt-dailyresults/results/s422-20-09.html

And for those that haven't, register now to add you own records and help make the picture more complete - www.birdtrack.net

Mark Grantham
BTO

Arrival of Common Chifchaff in the Netherlands: view

You can see two 'waves': a little on 7/8 march and a big one on 14-17 march.

Interesting??

greatings, Hendrik Jan

I saw one on the Solway coast of Cumbria yesterday, and several others were reported from the same area.

Attachments

• DSC_2299a Chiffchaff.jpg
    DSC_2299a Chiffchaff.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back