• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Notebooks (1 Viewer)

WHsmiths do a nice note book it has a plastic cover and a little elastic strip to keep it shut and it has enough room down the metal ringbinders to keep a sturdy pencil (I use a metal one woth retratable leads) its also A5 size so fits neatly into a pocket.

last season i had a nice little plastic covered note book, so it was sort of water proof as long as you didnt drop in in a puddle. that cost 99p. then i had some reporters note books cheap, they were good but Santa brought me a dictaphone so now there is no stopping me. ok, so i cant draw with it but i didnt anway so no lose there. GPS is very handy too and i mark all my sights on mapsource (check out kazaa). i still carry a note book as a standby and put all the data into the PC when i get home or when i have time.
the main thing is to enjoy your day/night out, these little things just help a little.

I found a great piece of gear a few years ago that I have carried constantly with me since.

I think it's made by a company called Panjaro (but don't quote me on that, please): it's a field guide carrier and cover.

The cover is heavyduty cardboard covered in ripstop nylon. My National Geographic guide fits inside completely. There's a divider, then, and on the other side I can put a small (9x5?) legal pad. There's a pen/pencil holder along the spine on the inside, next to the notepad. The inside of section of the divider has a pocket where I stick whatever: used pages, brochures, map, etc.

It's held closed with a heavy velcro tab/strap (which is unfortunately a bit noisy being opened).

The spine has a nice heavy strap for carrying by hand, plus there's a long adjustable strap clipped to the top and bottom of the spine. The strap can be adjusted to carry over the shoulder, or lengthened to go over the head and across the chest (which is how I carry it, being pathetically slope-shouldered).

I've used it for several years now and just love it: between it and the shoulder harness I use for my binos, I'm quite strapped up when I'm out.

While mine is sized for a National Geographic guide (and thereby a little large for a Kaufman, Peterson or Golden), they have also come out with a larger version for those who insist on carrying a Sibley.

I find the Sibley too bulky for carrying in the field, but it's always in the car for reference, kept in an oversized waterproof paperback book cover made of ripstop nylon that zips closed.

I know you can find these covers (or you could in the past) in the catalog section at the back of the Bird Watcher's Digest. I think I paid about 30USD for mine, and it's been worth every penny. One initial purchase for the guide, then cheapo pens and pencils and cheapo legal pads as needed.

Works for me!

Last edited:
I use a cheap A5 notebook from Woolies with a plastic cover--good value at 99p!
As I do a lot of my birding around my home I have numbered all the fields so if I see a turtle dove, say, I can write down that it was displaying in F17 or whatever.
Another advantage of carrying a notebook is to make notes when you find something unusual--either something you cannot identify or a bird that needs to be vetted by a rarities committee. I once found a Cetti's warbler near my home (a rarity in Surrey) and had to write a description on a small stub of paper because I'd forgotten my notebook--not ideal!

Anyone got a source of flip over Policeman's Notebooks with pencils down the side. I found some but no slip for pencils. I have enclosed a picture but you all probably know what I am referring to. I am desperate as I have only got one left, I used to get them for 99p at Bastins but they stopped doing them.

Attachments

• book.jpg
    book.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 216
Dunno what they're called but closest thing I've seen is the flipover notebook with elastic round it from WH smiths, no space for the pencil however. But given a bit of masking tape ......

Kevin. Thanks for the directions to the two websites. I am going to look at them now. They sound just the job for when I am birding in my neon yellow shell suit! LOL

I take a little black notebook with me its like a policeman's notebook and Ive used it since February last year

I use a waterproof notebook from

Hawkins & Manwaring
PO Box 50, Newark,
Notts, NG23 5GY

Tel 01949 843917
Fax 01949 844051

It is not a hard back and not cheap. Comes with a plastic cover and pencil and you can order refills. It is very waterproof.

Yes it is but mine dosn't hold a pencil like that its ringed baned so i stuff my pencil at the top. My Mum bought it for me n I think she got it in WH Smith

Gone right off the local one after the shop owner and I disagreed over a faulty item! I looked at Kevins links and found nothing. There was one but it seemed to be a large pad, I want an A6 type pad that slips in my pockets and easily taken out when I spot a birdy.

I will simply tape some leather or summat round the top of the ones without pencil holders.

All very interesting Collin ... and yes I do take a notebook with me when I go birding. But as for making notes on all the items you mentioned, I'm sorry but I have far too much to do as it without taking on all that too. And in any case, knowing what I'm like, it would be very unlikely that I would look back and read the comments in a fully writen up book or diary. ;)

Thanks for the link Kevin, these are the exact ones I bought in Office World and have no pencil holder. I have emailed them for help in finding some.

I have been using notebooks since i started birding in the mid 70's a very vital part of the birders equipment, on a recent birdwatching trip there was a guy in the hide using a pocket tape recorder and recording everything he saw, when i quizzed him, he just said i cannot be bothered with writing things down...........

When using a notebook I write down species, sex number & what if anything they are doing. Always include a grid reference.

Records that just say "Mute Swan, Mallard, Teal etc are fo no use to anyone but Mute swan three adults & seven cygnets feeding on Duckweed TM 501266.

Mallard. Seven Males in eclipse two females nearby sitting against reed bed.

Teal One Male feeding on turf.

It reads much better & it is of use to you in years to come
& the County recorder can use those details much better.

Tape machines are not like the written word. I used a machine once but they did not convey the same feeling as reading my old notebooks.

CJ

Don't feel bad, OJ, I had to look it up too, I thought twitchers were the same as tickers, but they're more so-- they go after rarities, no matter how far, no matter how hard, no matter how expensive. And if they miss, they've 'dipped'.

Unfortunately, the Jacobi Jayne catalogue is not yet sent outside of Europe. Pity. My curiousity was piqued.

Oops! Looks like I responded to the last posting on the FIRST page-- is my face red!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back