• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heath Fritillary? (1 Viewer)

mrcolinhyde

I saw this in the hills in the Niccone valley on the borders of Tuscany and Umbria. I know that Heath Fritillaries are rare in the UK, but this is Italy. Anyone back me up on this ID? I only had my phone available to take the snap...

Attachments

• heath fritillary.jpg
    heath fritillary.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 63
Because of the location I agree but an underwing photo can only confirm wether Heath, Marsh, or Provencal

Here is one of mine its on the right tother on the left is a Provencal

|:D| good focus on the grass

Attachments

• Fritillary Heath Mellicta athalia (Large).jpg
    Fritillary Heath Mellicta athalia (Large).jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I'm now back in the UK and was unable to take the underwing. From your pictures, it seems to me that the Heath is more 'orange' and has a wider white wing border - or is that too simplistic?

Hi
I just love Fritillaries but at the end of the day its their under wing pattern that gives it away a bit like many of the Blues
I even became confused with Marsh which has spots and Meadow which I meant (french doesnt help|8(|) I'm still a learner

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back