• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New SLC Models from Swarovski (1 Viewer)

tlb

Swarovski's website shows several new SLC models with availabilities ranging from April through June of this year. Unfortunately, there is no information of specifications, design goals, etc.

Does anyone have any additional info?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,

Interesting. I wish I did have more information. If they are following the current trend, I might guess lighter, better close focus, and, perhaps, improved eye relief. Lighter may be the main point - the 42mm and larger SLCs are a bit heavy in comparison to similar sizes made by others. The current 8x30 is actually pretty light. I am hoping it will get more eye relief.

Oh, and likely more money.

Clear skies, Alan

Went to site showing SLC 'neu' line (look under tech data for SLC neu at swarovskioptik.com), and didn't see much difference in the close focus than what the original SLCs showed, although it looks like some changes in eye relief in some SLC models--they do look more 'sleek', and it looks like they're using the EL green for color. Swarovski seems to touting them for their 'ergomonics' more than anything--maybe the glass used is different? I'm sure the upgrade is also going to be an upgrade in cost! :news:

Last edited:
I looked at the specs on the SLC 7X42 and did not see the changes I hoped for. The oppressive weight (33 oz) and short focus (13') have not changed. The bridge has been slightly modified, but I never found the old bridge problematic.

Is this just a marketing ploy?

John

John Traynor said:
I looked at the specs on the SLC 7X42 and did not see the changes I hoped for. The oppressive weight (33 oz) and short focus (13') have not changed. The bridge has been slightly modified, but I never found the old bridge problematic.

Is this just a marketing ploy?

John
John, from what I see, it allows Swarovski to say it has 'improved' the SLC line (only cosmetically from what I see), and gives it the opportunity to jack up its prices on the SLC lines, and eventually adjust the prices upward on its EL and scopes as well to new price points! Maybe they'll mark down the old SLC binos models to half off!

Last edited:
karmantra said:
John, from what I see, it allows Swarovski to say it has 'improved' the SLC line (only cosmetically from what I see), and gives it the opportunity to jack up its prices on the SLC lines, and eventually adjust the prices upward on its EL and scopes as well to new price points! Maybe they'll mark down the old SLC binos models to half off!

Ok, I'll buy one at half off!

Had a look at the new SLC at a recent exhibition in Germany. The armouring is different from the old and similar to the EL's, however ther optics appear to be the same. In fact the techical specifications are the same. New packaging (all available in green), similar optics, similar weight.

Also looked at the Leupold Gold Ring binoculars, IMO, sorry to you guys in the US, but they do not compete against the leading European binoculars.

AlanFrench said:
I saw some pretty good prices on the older Nikon Venturers after the new version came out.

The keyword here is Nikon.

Does anyone remember what happened to the Swaro AT/ST 80 scope prices when the new scope came out???

Not much.

Hold on guys. There may be aspects we don't fully appreciate, such as improved manufacturing efficiencies, ease of repair, or just interchangeable parts. Couple that with standardizing the appearance of the product line and improving the image, — and that's what being on top is all about. Ever hear someone complaining about Mercedes or BMW prices? If you don't like em, fine. Just buy a Ford. ;)

-elk

Last edited:
elkcub said:
Hold on guys. There may be aspects we don't fully appreciate, such as improved manufacturing efficiencies, ease of repair, or just interchangeable parts. Couple that with standardizing the appearance of the product line and improving the image, — and that's what being on top is all about. Ever hear someone complaining about Mercedes or BMW prices? If you don't like em, fine. Just buy a Ford. ;)

-elk
If improved efficiences, ease of repair, interchangable parts, and standardizing the SLC line are the driving force behind the new look, then one can hope that the pricing at least remains the same as with the old line--we'll have to wait and see. I have a pair of 8x30 SLCs, but after looking over the tech data on the new line, I'm in no hurry to trade up!

karmantra said:
If improved efficiences, ease of repair, interchangable parts, and standardizing the SLC line are the driving force behind the new look, then one can hope that the pricing at least remains the same as with the old line--we'll have to wait and see. I have a pair of 8x30 SLCs, but after looking over the tech data on the new line, I'm in no hurry to trade up!

This is not the first time Swarovski has changed the skin on the SLC. AFAIK, the last time they changed it, prices were not affected. I think they are just trying to keep a tried-and-true line looking contemporary. Except for weight in the 42mm and larger SLCs, the entire SLC line still performs very well, so Swarovski is investing relatively little in extending its life with a modest makeover. As far as bargain prices go, Swarovski will be the last maker to offer any type of closeout price on a product.

I was just suggesting the "image" Swarovski may be trying to maintain, not the truth of it. Let's face it, there is snob appeal at work and they are well aware that Leica, Zeiss, and Nikon are in the same hi-end market. Like Karmantra and Johnathan I don't expect Swaros will be going on fire sale any time soon, but dealers will probably try to move their stock to make way for the new model. That's how I got sort of a bargain on my 8x30 Mk IIs back in 1994. Adding to what Karmantra said, they may actually be reluctant to make more than a cosmetic change for fear of hurting current SLC sales ... which I suspect is demographically to hunters. If that's the case, modernization is a smart business move since it reinforces the product line appeal to somewhat different groups; birders already have modern looking ELs, and hunters don't need short focus that much.

-elk

Last edited:
elkcub said:
I was just suggesting the "image" Swarovski may be trying to maintain, not the truth of it. Let's face it, there is snob appeal at work and they are well aware that Leica, Zeiss, and Nikon are in the same hi-end market. Like Karmantra and Johnathan I don't expect Swaros will be going on fire sale any time soon, but dealers will probably try to move their stock to make way for the new model. That's how I got sort of a bargain on my 8x30 Mk IIs back in 1994. Adding to what Karmantra said, they may actually be reluctant to make more than a cosmetic change for fear of hurting current SLC sales ... which I suspect is demographically to hunters. If that's the case, modernization is a smart business move since it reinforces the product line appeal to somewhat different groups; birders already have modern looking ELs, and hunters don't need short focus that much.

-elk
Good point! If Swaro keep their prices the same on the new SLC line, it'll probably pick up sales of the line overall, and be viewed as a wise move on their part.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back