• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 400D - "leaked" specs (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder said:
http://www.patyuen.com/digital/400dleak.htm
http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/23/canons-400d-10-1-megapixel-dslr/

The megapixel race continues...

Interesting to see (assuming this isn't all eyewash - doubtless much of it is, even thouht he original was on a Canon China web page) how Canon's 10mp sensor fares against the Sony and Nikon competition.

Weird how Chinese news spread so quickly ... dust removal system should really be a winning plus for Canon.

PS I found technically relevant that "Dan Fan for digital camera lens can be an important advantage" and that "EOS 400D Performance closer to the professional level digital cameras Shanfan also have higher Xingjiebi." |:p|

Yep, I can't wait for a firmware Dan Fan for the 30D!

;)

Personally I see in-camera dust removal as just another thing to go wrong - keeping the sensor clean is really easy without ultrasonic gadgetry inside the camera.

paul goode said:
I see 'they' 'think' its full frame. That'll move it straight to my not remotely interested folder.

The first link says it is a APS-C sensor (22.2x14.8mm) with a 1.6 conversion factor. Like Paul says the second link talk about full frame.

Obviously an upgrade for the 350D. I suppose the 30D is too recent for the next model in the 'middle' range to appear just yet, but it'll be interesting to see how sales of the 30D are affected by the thought that a 40D is only 'just around the corner.'

I'm not surprisised that the 350D is the body that has been superceded, 350D being the best selling Canon DSLR to date. and also its in line budget-wise to compete with Nikons latest offering, D80 and the Sony Alpha, all being 10.1 Mp, sensor cleaning had to be in there too as these other DSLRs have this function.
I was hoping for an update to the EOS 1Ds MkII as its now nearly 2 years old, there are rumours of a 22Mp body due up, but its time that it was bought in line, 1Ds MkII n perhaps with a bigger preview screen, better buffer capacity, faster fps rate etc would be good.

Adey Baker said:
Obviously an upgrade for the 350D. I suppose the 30D is too recent for the next model in the 'middle' range to appear just yet, but it'll be interesting to see how sales of the 30D are affected by the thought that a 40D is only 'just around the corner.'

Yup, I'm sure we'll see the same sensor in a 30D replacement. What I want to see is the amount of noise at high ISO. I like using my 20D at ISO800 quite a bit of the time.

Me too, F - having had my fingers badly burned by a 10mp DSLR before I bought my 30D, I'm rather disillusioned about "more pixels at any price" - but if Canon get it right, that's something else again...

hollis_f said:
Yup, I'm sure we'll see the same sensor in a 30D replacement. What I want to see is the amount of noise at high ISO. I like using my 20D at ISO800 quite a bit of the time.

I'd guess they will announce the 40D at the big Feb show next year (Photokina ?). By then we (and Canon) should have a good idea of how good the sensor is both in terms of quality and reliability. Like you I use 800 quite a lot and although I don't usually upgrade for a few years I would be tempted with a 40D if it was 10mp, better on noise, dust cleaner on the sensor, spot metering, 1/3 point ISO and larger LCD (30D has the latter 4 points). I'd also like to see the AF improved to a smaller central point but that's just wishing. If this turns out to be the case then the marketing guys did a good job on the 30D and revitalised sales of an existing sensor by adding some nice extras whilst buying time to finish development of the new sensor. The extra megapixels will tempt those who always upgrade and the whole package would be a genuine upgrade for anyone using the 20D.

All just wild speculation of course !

cheers,
Richard

rjb25073 said:
I'd guess they will announce the 40D at the big Feb show next year (Photokina cheers,
Richard

Check link in post 6, its announced already. My guess is that we'll see it available in the UK in good time for Christmas.

The real issue that will drive DSLR manufacturers is the rate that bridge cameras are catching up with them on specifications, granted these have smaller sensors, so will have less performance in their noise and dynamic range, but they do offer good zoom range on fixed lenses, a sealed unit with no sensor dust problems, look at new Fuji 9Mp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082412fujis9600.asp

With a 2x theses will have 21.4X magnification, soon these camera types will be a real option for bird photography.
Maybe in not many years time a couple of small portable units with good zoom range and high res will be a better option than the 50Lb of kit, heavy lenses etc that I often take out with me!

400D interactive demo

Here is some more info about the 400D, direct from Canon:

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/rebelxti/index.html

I do like the fact that the new 400D got the 9-point AF system from the 20D/30D, a 2.5" LCD and an improved grip. If the high-ISO performance of the new sensor is not worse than the previous 8MP one, I will be upgrading once the "triple-rebate" season arrives...

new 400D Body only Availible september £649.99 from Walters photograghy

Main Features
• 10.1 Mega pixel CMOS sensor
• Digic II imagine engine
• 2.5" LCD
• User Interface
• 9-point AF
• Continuous Shooting
• EOS Integrated Cleaning System
• Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
• Picture Style
• Direct Printing and Data Transfer
• Software and Accessories

hollis_f said:

The 350D uses a different sensor to the 20/30D so when the 40D arrives it may use a different 10Mp sensor to the 400D. There's more noise-reduction built into the 350D (than 20/30D) which may continue in the 400D.

Canon claim the same noise levels in the 400D as in the 350D, due to improvements in the sensor, especially the microlenses. I suppose it is only to be expected that technology advances at breakneck speed.

I think this one will sell well. (Not the most risky of predictions.)

I see Keith has made yet another remark critical of the Nikon D200. Now there's a surprise. Has he made his century yet? :)

Leif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back