• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 2007 Leupold Binoculars (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I just popped onto the Leupold website to see if they had an update on the Yosemite 8x30s and found a slide-show style feature showing their new 2007 products. New products include:

Golden ring lineup:

7-12x32 binoculars
10-17x42 binoculars
8x32, 10x32, 8x42 and 10x42 HD binoculars

Some special edition Pinnacles, Katmais, Cascades...

The 8x30 Yosemites..no specs yet

..and a little "Birding for Dummies" package including an 8x25 model (probably the Mesa) a birding CD rom and a birding ID style guide.

Just thought I would pass on the info.

The way I read the site I think they are not zooms but dual magnification a la the Duovid. Could be promising but I think 12x for the 32mm and 17x for the 42mm is a bit high for the top end. I, as a birder not a hunter of course, would give a 7+10x32 a much more serious look than a 7+12.

Heck, if it was light enough with a wide enough field, I might try one and never use the 12x just to have a 7x32!

Last edited:
You are correc EE. They are Duovid style mechanisms. I should have clarified as much when I posted the info.

The "7x32" is what caught my eye. How many folks on here have been beggin' for a 7x32 configuration from someone. Now here we have one with a 12x addition to boot. If the optical quality is there then it should be an excellent binocular. I just hope the field of view isn't somehow compromised.

What I really look forward to trying out is one of their new "HD" Golden Ring models. As per their website they are using FL "glass" in them just like the Zeiss FLs.

The 7-12x32 will weigh about 30 ounces, much more than the 8x32 LX. They will also have a significantly reduced field of view. Make sure that you are happy with the oversized eyecups (over 40 mm), which have an edge uncomfortable to people with wide nose bridges or not wearing eyeglasses.
The idea of dual magnification binoculars is great, if put in practice in conjunction with quick and simple tripod mounting options.

Hopefully neither the field of view nor the weight issue proves to be true though I have a feeling you will probably be right. It does look like the variable mag. models have a different body though. Maybe they reworked the eyepiece shape as well.

eetundra said:
Maybe I will buy a few and rip the zoom lever off, fill them with helium, and resell them as a lighter 7x32.

BTW, seriously though, do Argon/Kryton fill really work better than N2 fill? Or it is just marketing gimmick? Either way, I think I want my next binoculars filled with Xenon.. I need to talk to my friends at Air Products to see if I can borrow a cylinder of Xe home and DIY it..

NWBirder said:
BTW, seriously though, do Argon/Kryton fill really work better than N2 fill? Or it is just marketing gimmick? Either way, I think I want my next binoculars filled with Xenon.. I need to talk to my friends at Air Products to see if I can borrow a cylinder of Xe home and DIY it..

I read some where in another place in this forum that Argon is the preferred gas to use in binoculars because it has the largest molecule and is thereby less prone to leaking.

Cordially,
Bob

"But if it's in the newspaper it must be true!" Quote from Dudley Doright on the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" show.
:news:

Greetings!

Wow!!!!! 7-12x32? My dream configuration!!! If these are any good, I'll obtain a pair even if I have to sell off a few of my other optics... I'm so excited I can't stop flapping!!!

Best wishes,
Bawko

I should have paid more attention when I first received it. The new 2007 Spring Cabelas catalog has the 8x42 and 10x42 HD models for sale. $1349 and $1399 respectively.

An update with the specs for the 2007 models.....

Model FOV Weight Length Exit Pupil Eye Relief Close Focus Distance

8x32 HD 420' 8 degrees 27 ozs 5.2" 4mm 17.5mm 4.9'

10x32 HD 356' 6.8 deg. 27.1 5.2" 3.2 14.7mm 4.9'

8x42 HD 381' 7.3 deg. 33.2oz 6" 5.3 16.5mm 7'

10x42 HD 340' 6.5 deg. 33.8oz 6" 4.2 16.0mm 7'

7/12x32 376/215 7.1/4.1 21.4oz 4.6/2.7 18.7/21.8 6.3/6'

10/17x42 262/136 5/2.6 23.9oz. 4.1/2.4 18.1/21.1 12.8/13.

IPD is the same as 06....56-72mm

Ofcourse, I cannot say for sure but based on the info sent to me and what is in their "digital catalog" on the web I would say "no" they are not.

The field of view on the 7-12 is a bit on the short side for what I would call ideal but might still be usuable. It should be fun to try them regardless.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back