• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Sur for condors (1 Viewer)

Strandman

Hello all. I'm making some plans for California late July and thinking that a few days at Big Sur with eyes to the sky should do the trick for condors. Just checking though- are there better/different suggestions assuming we are not heading far inland?

A supplemental question if I might- browsing around I have seen a few comments to the effect that blue whales have been a bit scarce on pelagics from e.g. Monterey in 07 and 08 but with more sightings further south. So I am wondering whether we might might be better off from Long Beach or other locations further down. Another year, another season of course- but any views would be much appreciated.

Was in big sur in November. Got slightly overexcited and ,er, strung 2 turkey vultures into condors.....it was an awesome place though and condors or no you'll love it.

Thank-you gents. I had safely archived Jos's magnificent thread in the old data bank and am booked on an all-dayer out of Monterey. Question I am left with is whether for the rest of the family odds of blue whale on a shorter trip are better further south- I shall continue to surf and delve a little on that one.

Question I am left with is whether for the rest of the family odds of blue whale on a shorter trip are better further south- I shall continue to surf and delve a little on that one.

You are correct - Blue Whales are more regular on the trips out of Ventura. I took a trip with Island Backpackers from Ventura to Santa Cruz Island and though my trip didn't bump into a whale, they were also running a whale trip the same day - that did see Blue Whale.

My California trip report is now on my website too. Much the same as on Bird Forum, but with photographs. See HERE.

Rumour has it that condors can be seen just south of Carmel where the bridge crosses the Carmel River......I don't know first hand though; I gave up a trip to Big Sur to go to Elkhorn Slough. That's another place that should be on your list if visiting Monterey County.

Joanne

Last edited:
If you are driving from monterey down to big sur you may wish to take in the route around the pebble beach/spyglass hills golf courses. Probably nothing you won't see elsewhere naturewise (apart perhaps from really really old monterey cypresses) but spectacular scenery.

If you are driving from monterey down to big sur you may wish to take in the route around the pebble beach/spyglass hills golf courses. Probably nothing you won't see elsewhere naturewise (apart perhaps from really really old monterey cypresses) but spectacular scenery.

For this you will be paying quite dearly as there is an entrance fee for this drive-through (I'm guessing $15).

If you want to see condors, the place to go is, as someone mentioned, south of Carmel in Big Sur. Probably around Andrew Molera State Park or vicinity. My nephew, who is a wildlife refuge manager and avid photographer went there two weeks ago and he was lucky enough to spot a couple of condors flying above him and one landed on a rock about 70 feet from where he was. He took the most stunning photographs of condors I have ever seen with his Canon 500mm/L IS lens. The photos were razor sharp and you could even see the flying condor with two radio transmitters attached to each wing. Absolute national Geographic Magazine quality photos.

I wish I could post his photos here but I have to respect his copyright.

The easiest place for condors in the Big Sur used to be Grimes point, just south of Nepenthe restaurant (according to the local birders I have spoken with). However the guy who just built the house on this point also installed automatic sprinklers which apparently has disturbed the birds and they are no longer reliable at this spot. I was there yesterday and didn't see them. I wasn't really birding though. By the way, gray whales are currently migrating north past this area and were fairly easy to see from the coast yesterday

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back