• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Yellow-billed Magpie / Mammals- San Franciso (1 Viewer)

Mike Richardson

Formerly known as Skink1978
I will be staying in the San Francisco for several days in February, followed by a couple of days in Monterey Bay. I would be grateful to know any local sites where I have a good chance of seeing Yellow-billed Magpie.

Also I would appreciate any information on a nearby area I could drive at night in search of nocturnal mammals such as Bobcat, Fox and Skunk.

Thank you in anticipation.

According to Monterey Birds by Don Roberson (available from ABA sales, will arrive within two weeks):
“especially common from upper Carmel Valley to Jolon and Lake San Antonio, and in southeastern [Monterey County]” (Fort Hunter Liggett, a usually freely accessible army base).
“Smaller numbers are resident [...] in Toro Regional Park/Corral de Tierra area between Monterey and Salinas.”
Hope this helps... I'll be searching for them a little further south (probably).

I'm slightly amused at your quest to see a yellow-billed magpie. I always forget that they aren't found elsewhere because I see them every day.

I've never seen any outside of the Central Valley. There may be an odd one toward the coast though. Their numbers have decreased by something like 50% in the last 4 years or so as well, making them even harder to spot. (My parents used to get hundreds of them in their yard, but haven't seen them in 2 years.)

As far as other animals... I think anywhere in the coastal mountains and wooded areas you may see some critters. I've never seen bobcat or fox along the coast, but I have seen skunk. Also, any parking lot with a garbage can at night in the Monterey area will attract racoons and possibly skunk. And if it doesn't bother you, cemetaries are excellent places to see mammals, especially deer and racoons. Check meadows for coyote and such if you're interested in them. There are some great areas along the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) near Pescadero between San Francisco and Santa Cruz (also great areas for tidepooling, I've also seen tons for seals and some whales).

Don't forget the brown pelican when you're in Monterey. And the "wild parrots" of Telegraph Hill in San Franciso. And if you have a chance and haven't already planned the trip, head down to the Big Sur area to see the condors. The Ventana Wildlife Society even offers tours (for a fee) and they know exactly where to find the condors. http://www.ventanaws.org/membership/eco_experiences.htm

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional replies guys. It's always wierd when someone wants to see a creature that you yourself see every day. The main reason I want to see YBM is they are endemic to California and I wont see them anywhere else on my trip (Arizona, Nevada, Texas).
I plan to spotlight for mammals in the evenings away from residential areas, but I guess Raccoons and Skunks will be as common in the suburbs. My girlfriend might draw the line at a late night visit to a grave yard.

A few years ago I had a fantastic encounter with a Bobcat (more specifically this Bobcat) in the Marin Headlands. I think this was somewhere near the junction of 'The Bobcat Trail' and the "Rodeo Valley Trail", in the southern part of the headlands. I saw it around dusk. I also saw a Coyote in the middle of the day in the Presidio.

I'm sure you have a mammal guide. 2 of my favorites here are "Spotted Skunk" and "Ringtail (Cat)". Both stunners. Something also to keep in mind (if you're bringing a powerful spotlight) is the that people poach deer in the States in this manner. Not sure exactly where you'll be driving at night ---- but just be aware of this (not so great) type of activity. Our 'Fish & Game' law officers patrol problem areas.

And eat lots of Mexican food. You, I mean...........

More great advice. Thanks guys.

Elkhornslough looks great so will try to fit in a visit. I have a good mammal guide and Spotted Skunk and Ringtail are high on my wishlist.
I understand spotlighting is not allowed in US National Parks so I hope to find some quiet back roads, perhaps in Texas. One night a few years back, I was heavily questioned by a ranger in the Florida Everglades and I didn't even have a spotlight!
Great Bobcat pic Andrew.
Oh, and I love Mexican food. Thats the main reason for this trip!

Taco wagons........... Don't pass too many by. Look for the one at lunch time surrounded by pickup trucks with dudes munching away. I trust my state treats you well. A fine accent here will bring you smiles and much more...........

I saw Yellow-billed Magpies in Sta. Barbara County: just north of Buellton and in Los Alamos Country Park (way too far from Monterey for your purposes). I saw none flying over the US-101 south from Monterey: there is just not much suitable habitat there. The best areas are a long way away from Monterey.

Mammal-wise:
California: I saw Bobcat in Nojoqui Falls Country Park in Sta. Barbara County, and tracks in the Laguna Mountains. I guess you just need luck. Sea Otter was a doddle in Monterey: at Moss Landing they were even running (well, running?) ashore. There were many Harbour Seals and California Sea Lions in Monterey Harbour.
Finding quiet back roads may be a bit of a problem! In the strangest places traffic is heavy... and you don't want to arouse too much suspicion.

Elkhorn Slough was closed on Monday and Tuesday (the days I was there), unless I misunderstood and only that gate was closed...

I saw Yellow-billed Magpies in Sta. Barbara County: just north of Buellton and in Los Alamos Country Park (way too far from Monterey for your purposes). I saw none flying over the US-101 south from Monterey: there is just not much suitable habitat there. The best areas are a long way away from Monterey.

Mammal-wise:
California: I saw Bobcat in Nojoqui Falls Country Park in Sta. Barbara County, and tracks in the Laguna Mountains. I guess you just need luck. Sea Otter was a doddle in Monterey: at Moss Landing they were even running (well, running?) ashore. There were many Harbour Seals and California Sea Lions in Monterey Harbour.
Finding quiet back roads may be a bit of a problem! In the strangest places traffic is heavy... and you don't want to arouse too much suspicion.

Elkhorn Slough was closed on Monday and Tuesday (the days I was there),
unless I misunderstood and only that gate was closed...

Thanks for the update. I think the Pinnacles may be my only chance of YBM, or some of the smaller parks suggested in your post above.

I am only really going to have a couple of days in the Monterey area, and one of these is already taken up by a whale watch, so not overly optimistic now. Will give it a good go though.

Well done with the Bobcat. Don't think I'll see one of these either, especially as they seem less common in the deserts where I'll be doing most of my birding.

Thanks again for the info.

Monterey area

I am not sure when you will be in Montery area, but I will be in the area on Sat, Sun and Mon ( 7th- 9th ) and will have a car

Plan is Panoche Valley on the Saturday, Sunday ( probably 2 or even 3 whale watches ) and then up to Santa Cruz to seek the Rock Sand and if time Elephant Seals ( yet again ) but awesome craetures.

If you happen to be around at that time and you need transport do let me know

Best/ Mike ( UK )

I am only really going to have a couple of days in the Monterey area, and one of these is already taken up by a whale watch, so not overly optimistic now. Will give it a good go though.

Hi Mike

I've only just seen this thread. I was in Monterey and did the whalewatch from Monterey Bay. Report is post 18 on this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=94046

It was fantastic. I was there in August so you'll see different birds and cetaceans than we did. I highly recommend it. The company we did it with was called Monterey Bay Whalewatch. Also did the Elkhorn Slough boat trip....another good one. Post 36 in the same thread. Central coastal California is a fantastic birding area. :t:

Bon voyage!

Joanne

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back