• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flock Id Please? (1 Viewer)

The main flock appear to be Snow Geese (or possibly Ross's), The 2 dark birds could perhaps be Blue phase Snows or perhaps White Fronted Geese?

Hi Dharana and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BF :t:

Although it appears that you have a partial answer, i'm going to move your thread to the Bird I D section. I've subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

I'd go with snows, not Ross'. Blue-morph Ross' geese are extremely rare and to have two in one flock would be unlikely. Since the dark birds are the same size as the white geese, that means the white birds are snows, since the dark birds would either be white-fronts or blue morph snows.

As to which those two are, it's low probability that such a small flock of snow geese would have two blues AND both of them would end up on the end of the skein. Therefore, I think probability says those are white-fronts. But that's really just a SWAG.

I thought that perhaps the Snow Geese were being followed by a couple of Canada Geese (as they seemed a little big larger than the snows).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back