• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tooth-billed Pigeon - Probably Gone? (1 Viewer)

Was this the survey that was mentioned on the IUCN page?
Terrible loss of an odd pigeon.

This would be (is) a loss of the only extant representative of a whole genus and probably (IMO) the worst loss that I can recall since Kauai O'o. And I can only remember that from John Craven's Newsround!

cheers, alan

Last edited:
Just seen one today. Although unfortunately it was just a skin in Uppsala University's museum. Good too see that there is still some hope, however slight, remaining for the species.

It would be shame for Samoa if this species is indeed extinct. Hope they will rediscover a new population. In addition it would be better if BLI would reassess this species to Critically endangered.

A few are still around according to this article: http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0304-hance-little-dodo.html , but it really seems to be on the brink

Thanks for the posting the link. Although Rebecca Stirnemann says there are currently none in captivity, she has two photos in the article of live birds, including a juvenile. Does anyone know if these were recently trapped or from (now deceased) captives?

cheers, alan

I wonder if pre-emptive predator control operation could be done?

Study of pigeon's ecology will likely take years, by the time it may be already gone. Example is the study of Slender-billed Curlew.

I read recently an interesting study of Puerto Rican Parrots which basically also suffer from non-native cats and rats. It turned that predator control preventing as little as one parrot killed every 4-12 years is still cheaper than captive breeding and releasing the parrot.

BTW - is the issue of it's voice solved?

This is fantastic news! As big a deal for that country (I imagine) as the rediscovery of a certain Campephilus would have been for the U.S.A.; much better documentation this time, I'm glad to see.

What great story this re-discovery will make, too - "good birds seen while doing the wash."

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back