• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hazy or foggy images when using astro telescopes for birds (1 Viewer)

opticoholic

Hello,
I have noticed that when I use my triplet APO telescopes for bird photography, the images I get, while incredibly sharp, often have a noticeable milky or hazy quality. I will attach an example. Is this normal and is there anything I should think about changing to help it? I can usually improve the problem by adjusting levels when post-processing. Here is an improved, better copy of the Tree Swallow photo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqhws69fx2r1wa7/P4130550_Tree_Swallow.jpg?dl=0

But I'm just wondering if there is something else I can do to avoid the issue in the first place and I figure you people would know... My scopes are high end APO's that I use for astronomy as well as bird photography. Both have oil-spaced triplet objectives with the very best current multi-coatings, etc. I don't think I have any light leaking going on, and if I do I'm not sure what I would do to help it. I do use a simple clear filter on the 2" tube that goes into the telescope extension tube, simply because I'd rather have something helping to protect the sensor from dust, but I could remove that filter.

Thank you and I hope this forum is not completely dead because I'm still having fun using telescopes as bird lenses!

Dave

Attachments

• P4130550_Tree_Swallow_1200px.jpg
    P4130550_Tree_Swallow_1200px.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 96
Hello,
I have noticed that when I use my triplet APO telescopes for bird photography, the images I get, while incredibly sharp, often have a noticeable milky or hazy quality. I will attach an example. Is this normal and is there anything I should think about changing to help it? I can usually improve the problem by adjusting levels when post-processing. Here is an improved, better copy of the Tree Swallow photo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqhws69fx2r1wa7/P4130550_Tree_Swallow.jpg?dl=0

But I'm just wondering if there is something else I can do to avoid the issue in the first place and I figure you people would know... My scopes are high end APO's that I use for astronomy as well as bird photography. Both have oil-spaced triplet objectives with the very best current multi-coatings, etc. I don't think I have any light leaking going on, and if I do I'm not sure what I would do to help it. I do use a simple clear filter on the 2" tube that goes into the telescope extension tube, simply because I'd rather have something helping to protect the sensor from dust, but I could remove that filter.

Thank you and I hope this forum is not completely dead because I'm still having fun using telescopes as bird lenses!

Dave
Hi Dave,

Difficult to conclude from one photo only. To me it seems the black point is not where it should be. What SW are you using when processing? Any other samples you can share with processing info?

Assuming that you are right that there is nothing wrong with the glass, what could be other reasons?

From heavy field use I know my scope is collecting dust. It tends to become quite a lot with time, have you checked your scope? Dust could reduce contrast.

I don't use any protective filter, so cannot share any experience. Have you tried without? Do you need it? What camera make/model? I have so far not experienced any dust issue, stuck on the sensor of my Olympus cameras, they live up to the promise having a reliable dust removal technology.

Reflections of light in the OTA? Have you flocked it?

BR
Tord

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back