Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Poor Photographs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 6th March 2004, 01:51   #26
Jay Turberville

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampo
http://www.airpistol.co.uk/telescopic_sights.htm

This is a website I found here in the UK - but just look at the prices! Is this a similar red-dot site, Jay?
The SMK sight at the bottom looks moderately priced.

I've only used the Daisy sight. So I can't say much about other models. I am very happy with the Daisy and find it is extremely helpful in getting the scope on birds quickly and easily.

I have three minor complaints about it though. So scopes that improve on these aspects might be better.

1) I'd rather have something that uses a AAA battery. 2032 batteries are pretty anemic and its a shame when something with more capacity could last a year or so.
2) You need a screwdriver to adjust windage and elevation. Not a big deal, but knobs would be better.
3) The open tube and flat top can pick up substantial glare when the sun is in front of you. You usually don't want the sun in front, but nonetheless, a closed design might give a better sight picture in a wider variety of conditions.

I think GR is correct. Almost any red-dot would work. The main issue is brightness of the dot. So I'd lean toward models designed for guns rather than ones for astronomy. I'm not really looking to upgrade my inexpensive little Daisy sights. They work fine. Heck, better than fine.
Old Saturday 6th March 2004, 08:25   #27
scampo
Steve Campsall

Thanks, GR. We have a gun shop locally, so I'll pop in and see what they have. It seems to me it's a definite try-before-you-buy item, even if so inexpensive.
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 23:35   #28
mickporter
Oswaldtwistle birder

Ok guys thank for all the pointers and tips. I have to report that thinks are improving.

I live in an area with lots of houses around me, backyards and not gardens. So poking a telescope through the back bedroom window is not a good idea. People already think I am wierd going birdwatching, never mind being labeled as a peeping tom as well!

I have been practicing as you said on inanimate objects. I am getting the swing of focusing although its not always perfect but certainly much better. My colours have improved, and the tip about tightening the tripod head is a winner, it has made everything much easier, just leaning on it a little.

I have now moved up to sheep!! A bit like birds but bigger.... they don't move so much or so fast. I did try rabbits at one stage but gave up again on them for the time being.

I have taken back my Nikon remote control. It was next to useless. Kept sticking and taking lots of pictures when I didnt want it too. Wouldn't work when I did. I now have an eagle eye bracket and manual plunger thingy. Much better now since I can control easier and snap with more ease.

There is light at the end of this dark tunnel. I set off with Andy's settings in my camera, but found that by trial and error some tweaking is necessary for best results. I presume its suiting the weather, the light and the subject. In some instances landscape mode worked best, but as soon as I got onto a moving target things changed again. Manual mode with me focusing via the scope is easier then.

Once again guys thanks for the help. I will publish some results soon.... or is there a sheep forum somewhere here??

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 9th March 2004, 04:54   #29
Jay Turberville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickporter
, just leaning on it a little.

I have now moved up to sheep!!
This is a very dangerous thing to say. Especially coming from a peeping tom.

:)
Old Tuesday 9th March 2004, 09:47   #30
Tannin
Common; sedentary.

Sheep forum? Nahh .. I'm from Australia, not from Ne- ... er ... I mean "not from that other place".

I had the exact same problem as you with the Nikon remote, Mick. Hopeless. Luckily, I had only borrowed it from friend. For some reason, she doesn't particularly seem to want it back!

PS. Someone from here emailed me today about (I think) something to do with this thread. I glanced at the mail, didn't even get to read it before I was called away by some duty or another. (I have my mail come to the office, not here at home.) Whoever you are, I'll dig it out when I go to work tomorrow and reply them - hopefully, making some sense!
Old Tuesday 9th March 2004, 10:53   #31
mickporter
Oswaldtwistle birder

Quote:
This is a very dangerous thing to say. Especially coming from a peeping tom.
You dont need a telescope for sheep, just stick their legs down the front of your wellies...... (did I just say that!!)

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: