• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice (1 Viewer)

spuggyhawk

Is there any importance in the distance between the scope eye piece and camera lens? or is it as close as posible without touching?

Jon

Is there any importance in the distance between the scope eye piece and camera lens? or is it as close as posible without touching?

Jon

I think it's best to try for yourself to find the optimum distance for your scope and camera. Too close can be problematic I've found, and for my camera and scope about 5mm is the best. Remember that you might also need a 'buffer space' in case the camera moves and touches the eyepiece glass during focussing.

I've also replied to your query about focussing on the other thread,

Cheers,

Steve

I think it's best to try for yourself to find the optimum distance for your scope and camera. Too close can be problematic I've found, and for my camera and scope about 5mm is the best. Remember that you might also need a 'buffer space' in case the camera moves and touches the eyepiece glass during focussing.

I've also replied to your query about focussing on the other thread,

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve, the way i have it setup is so that the camera lens at its most extended (zoomed and focusing) is about 5mm from the scope eye piece.
So there is no chance of the two lenses coming into contact.

I was thinking more along the lines of there being a "ideal" distance between the two... and wondered if that if not adhered to could cause focusing or other camera problems.

Jon

Thanks for the reply Steve, the way i have it setup is so that the camera lens at its most extended (zoomed and focusing) is about 5mm from the scope eye piece.
So there is no chance of the two lenses coming into contact.

I was thinking more along the lines of there being a "ideal" distance between the two... and wondered if that if not adhered to could cause focusing or other camera problems.

Jon

I'm not sure about focussing problems but it's more likely you'll get problems like vignetting, which would look like darkening around the edge of the image, with a clearly lighter central area to images.

I think it's best to experiment to find the best distance for your particular combo, as all cameras are different, and different scope eyepieces have varying eye relief.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back