• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (1 Viewer)

A bit like mine then. I use it to phone folk! A very old model. As for mobile, mine, well I tend to leave it at home most days. I have some birding apps on it so I try to remember to take it with me when I go birding. I tend not to use it, its only there for emergencies, if I remember to take it with me.

A bit like mine then. I use it to phone folk! A very old model. As for mobile, mine, well I tend to leave it at home most days. I have some birding apps on it so I try to remember to take it with me when I go birding. I tend not to use it, its only there for emergencies, if I remember to take it with me.

Mine rarely leaves the house so is the least 'mobile' of mobiles and please Andy, what are 'apps'.......;)

Mine is not internet capable, no camera, just a phone!

Edit: Haven't we got this the wrong way around, we should be boasting about what our phones can do, not what they can't do :-O

Attachments

• rsz_p5291859.jpg
    rsz_p5291859.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I just realized that I took there is a big shieldbug nymph in the background of some photos of a Common darter I took last September. Anyone can tell me which species it might be?

Thanks

Attachments

• P1200327.jpeg
    P1200327.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 29
  • P1200334.jpeg
    P1200334.jpeg
    843.2 KB · Views: 29
Where were you?
Sorry, forgot to mention this. Photo taken in Düsseldorf, Germany.

Looks good for nymph of Common Green Shieldbug, Palomena prasina.
You are probably right.

I have seen a couple of P. prasina nymphs but they were usually quite small compared to this one. Don’t know if I misjudge the size in relation to the Common darter because of the zoom or if it‘s because all other nymphs I have seen were a lot earlier in the year

Sorry, forgot to mention this. Photo taken in Düsseldorf, Germany.

You are probably right.

I have seen a couple of P. prasina nymphs but they were usually quite small compared to this one. Don’t know if I misjudge the size in relation to the Common darter because of the zoom or if it‘s because all other nymphs I have seen were a lot earlier in the year
Presumably smaller because they were an earlier instar? Given the size comparison with the Common Darter I see no problem with it being P. prasina.

Hi Fellas,
It's not always that easy with Shieldbugs, I have found Hawthorn Shieldbug on almost every species of tree and bush that bears berries. Other Shieldbug species can be found on many species of tree and plants that aren't mentioned in the Textbooks.

There is very little modern literature on identification, the last book being the Land & Water Bugs of the British Isles. 1959. Copies are now selling at £125 upwards. A CD-ROM version is available from Pisces Conservation at about £55.00.

A good alternative for the Shieldbugs and a few closely related species is The Shieldbugs of Surrey by Roger D. Hawkins published by the Surrey Wildlife Trust, in hardback at £15.00. 2003. ISBN 0 9526065 7 7. Good Keys, emergence tables and lots of other goodies are included.

Surrey is probably the best county in Britain for Shieldbug species and I would certainly recommend this book to anyone interested in them. Good colour pictures of all the species, and their nymphs, that you are ever likely to come across elsewhere in Britain includes some possibly extinct species as well.

Before anyone asks I am not on a commission for sales, (more's the pity) lol.
Nor is it because one of my 'papers' gets a mention.

Harry.

My first port of call for UK hets is British Bugs Home - An online identification guide to UK Hemiptera by Tristan Bantock & Joseph Botting who were both at the NHM at the time it was started. For European bugs I favour Heteroptera - Bug Photo Gallery - Foto Galerie Wanzen.

General internet sources are poor as noted. Someone misidentifies something and it gets spread at the speed of light. Never trust an image from Wikipedia, they have competitions there for the creation of 'Good articles'. One of the criteria is to have a photo, few are experts so any old thing will do.

Morning all, Just discovered this thread this morning and it reminded me I got out the macro lens a few weeks back, amazing what you see when you start looking! Anyway, I caught this little beastie on a snowdrop in the garden. Central Scotland on farmland.
20230510 - Tiny bug on Russian Snowdrop (Shield Bug).jpg 20230510 - Tiny bug on Russian Snowdrop 2 (Shield Bug).jpg
A Shield bug youngster?
TiA

Here are some photos I took of a Southern Green Shieldbug last year in France. A nember of nymphs at various stages and the adult.

Attachments

• saint aignan 024.jpg
    saint aignan 024.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 3
  • saint aignan 051.jpg
    saint aignan 051.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 3
  • saint aignan 066.jpg
    saint aignan 066.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 3
  • saint aignan 060.jpg
    saint aignan 060.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 3
  • saint aignan 098.jpg
    saint aignan 098.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 3
Morning all, Just discovered this thread this morning and it reminded me I got out the macro lens a few weeks back, amazing what you see when you start looking! Anyway, I caught this little beastie on a snowdrop in the garden. Central Scotland on farmland.

A Shield bug youngster?
TiA
Certainly looks like a bug nymph. Fraid I don't know enough to know if it's a shieldbug or something else.

My first port of call for UK hets is British Bugs Home - An online identification guide to UK Hemiptera by Tristan Bantock & Joseph Botting who were both at the NHM at the time it was started. For European bugs I favour Heteroptera - Bug Photo Gallery - Foto Galerie Wanzen.

General internet sources are poor as noted. Someone misidentifies something and it gets spread at the speed of light. Never trust an image from Wikipedia, they have competitions there for the creation of 'Good articles'. One of the criteria is to have a photo, few are experts so any old thing will do.
I find that in addition to the two links above Rockwolf's page Rockwolf's space has some excellent pictures of shieldbug nymphs and I also use Recording the Wildlife of Leicestershire and Rutland | NatureSpot a lot despite it being about Leicestershire and Rutland and me living in Hampshire! The latter site is very good for letting you know how difficult it is to get an ID!

View attachment 1511582 View attachment 1511583
A Shield bug youngster?
TiA
Not a shieldbug instar.
Certainly looks like a bug nymph. Fraid I don't know enough to know if it's a shieldbug or something else.
I wonder if it's an aphid nymph but I'm a long way from having knowledge about aphids.

I really like Shieldbugs and endevour to find at least one new species on my foreign adventures . I will post some of the showier ones that i have found on my travels .
1-Chrysocoris purpureus ,Sri Lanka
2-Cantao ocellatus , Sri Lanka
3-Kermana imbuta , Costa Rica
4-Thyanta perditor , Costa Rica
5-Arvelius albopunctatus ,Ecuador
6-Edessa rufomarginata , Mexico .

Attachments

• DSC07772.jpg
    DSC07772.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC07715.jpg
    DSC07715.jpg