• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coast of Maine, sept 2012 (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

I was looking through photos and spotted this that I don't know what. Sept tends to be start of Migration off Maine, US.

Id's appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2012 09 16 16 03 18.jpg
    2012 09 16 16 03 18.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 178
Really? I don't see it. I've seen possibly millions of herring gulls and photographed hundreds. Nothing like the head on this one.

It sorta looks like it has a tiny cross bill. I don't see much of a beak at all and it seems to have a brown patch where the eyes should be.

I'm just not seeing it.

I think you're getting the head and beak mixed up with the far wing. Can't see a lot of detail in the photo, but it's an overall brownish, gull-like bird with long, dark beak. No reason it couldn't be a first- or second-year herring gull that I can see.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back