• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon Ed82 fieldscope - filter wanted (1 Viewer)

Atter Hughes

Alastair Hughes
Hello

I am trying to find a suitable protective front filter for my Nikon ED82 Fieldscope.

I understand that it requires an 86mm "Coarse" thread (pitch = 1mm)

Can anyone make any helpful suggestions?

Are conversion rings available to take it to the more normal 0.75 mm pitch?

Many thanks in anticipation
Atter Hughes

Atter
I use the Nikon ED82 Fieldscope angled and the filter I use is the Sigma 86mm UV. As far as I know it is the standard .075 pitch.
ATB
Tom

Thank you -
Sigma, interestingly on its 50-500 lens appear to be using the 1mm pitch - so their filter may be adjusted accordingly. I have emailed them to ask for clarification but have not heard anything back yet.
I found on ebay a company in Texas that sells an adapter that allows you to put a .75 pitch thread onto a 1mm coarse pitch thread = all for about £9. Hopefully it will arrive soon.
All the best
Alastair

Hello, this is a rather old thread but since I'm currently looking exactly for the same item, i.e. a protective filter for a Nikon ED82, I'd appreciate any update you may have. Does anybody have tested the Sigma EX DG 86 mm on a ED82?

Unfortunately, the versions I've received so far both from Nikon and Sigma don't seem to match: while Nikon (Germany) has declared their thread pitch to be 1mm, Sigma says their standard is 0.75mm, although from other thread I seem to understand that compatibility should be given. Some vendors have said to me just "give a try", but since I'm located in Chile, at th very end of this world, this doesn't seem to be feasible.

Hello,
I am thinking about buying filter for my Fieldscope III 60A with 24x wide eyepiece. I own it for 2 years now and I am really happy with quality and performance, it is wonderful little scope! Back to question: I wonder does filter make visible image quality drop when viewing, does it add more CA or "softness" to image?

Last edited:
Hello,
just an update on the subject: with the help of a friend in USA, I found out the Kowa protective filter fits with the ED82 thread, so I ordered it and checked by myself. It not only fits the thread, but is also a remarkably fine piece. Both day and night no visible distortion, reflex or loss can be detected. Kowa is a well known reputable optics maker in the middle range, as Nikon is, and the price is a very fair one, so I can only recommend it to whom it may interest.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back