• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lincolnshire Birding (1 Viewer)

High tide @ Guys Head

Can anyone provide me some information about high tide at Guys head or point me to somewhere I could find out more? I think it's just about in Lincs.

On the 17th April the high tide at Wisbech cut is going to be 6.3 m (with some in the following week or so reaching c7.3). Is that tide going to be enough to cover the salt marsh at Guys Head? How far up the salt marsh does the water reach, i.e. does it reach the sea wall?

Any help much appreciated

Gareth

Only just joined so will try

I've only just joined so will start a Blog of different sites in the Grimsby Cleethorpes areas, as many as i can visit, with different sites every week-end so watch this space:t:

Quick walk around Pasture Road South yesterday below Kimb' Clark in Barton flushed a few Snipe, lots of Buntings, Reed mainly, also lots of Skylarks.

Had 3 Short Eared owls yesterday at Worlaby Carrs also a Barn Owl. Great to see so many Avocets around Read's Island (200+) and 3 Marsh Harriers back and forth from the island. Not much at Far Ings though although Bitterns and Bearded Tits had been seen earlier in the day. Great day out.

Seems like a well used section of the forum this. I can't believe that the people of Lincolnshire don't give a damn about their county.

I think one of the reasons for this is that the lincs bird club is very active. Don't know if all counties have separate clubs?

Hi,
It appears one has to join the bird club to get the info? I guess if they are happy, it doesn't matter much about those of us who live outside the county and visit occasionally.
Close bunch these yellow bellies! :) ;)
By the way birdbrain (Steve) is Grantham Sewage Farm anything like its former glory?
I don't hear much of Bardney nowadays.
moricambe

Last edited:
Hi,
It appears one has to join the bird club to get the info? I guess if they are happy, it doesn't matter much about those of us who live outside the county and visit occasionally.
By the way birdbrain (Steve) is Grantham Sewage Farm anything like its former glory?
moricambe

Am of the impression that anyone can read the bird reports on Lincs Bird Club site though only members can post. For a mere £12 you can not only post but get the excellent annual bird report and the AGM had an excellent speaker in the form of Martin Ganner. This talk was free and was open to all.

There are a number of other groups offering information - Lincs Birders, South Lincs, Marston Sewerage Works, Gibraltar Point ringing etc

Most of us are happy to share information and most of us have contact information on here and the afore mentioned groups.

Hugh

Hi,
moricambe

Hi Moricambe,

Not sure if you are talking about Marston Sewage Treatment Works? that is the only sewage farm i know about in Grantham?
Please try www.southlincsrspb.org.uk
Sightings of both reserves and all Lincolnshire :t:

Hi Steve and Hugh,
Thanks for the info.
I realize Marston sewage treatment work is very different from the sewage farm I knew in the 1950's and 60's when I lived in Lincs.

I've been down to the county recently and looked at a few sites and saw/heard some interesting birds I don't see in Cumbria.

Nice to see how scrapes are being created in the county.
regards
Moricambe

Last edited:
Hey all,
Keep seeing the White-Tailed Eagle reported at Ruckland near Louth...Want to try and see it as I have missed it both times it has come over Norfolk...Is there any one here who has seen it at this location? and if so is there a "best place to look"?
Cheers
Oliver

Hey all,
Keep seeing the White-Tailed Eagle reported at Ruckland near Louth...Want to try and see it as I have missed it both times it has come over Norfolk...Is there any one here who has seen it at this location? and if so is there a "best place to look"?
Cheers
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Saw this bird about a month ago. Without a doubt the best place to see it is here: From the A16/A1028 junction head north until you pass through Burwell. Immediately after the village there is a left turning towards Ruckland. Take this and turn left at the crossroads down into the valley. Come back up the valley on the other side and when you reach the highest point park on the verge (which will probably be marked out due to its constant use). Scan left and you should see a small wood and down at the bottom of the valley a few fishing lakes. I have seen the bird from here in fields behind the wood, but the bird also favours a tiny coppice on the other side of Ruckland (best seen from here).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...d=Zi62yEWHW9fkRATRA8Og0w&cbp=12,81.61,,0,-0.1

The small coppice is just below the zoom button.

Hope this helps!

Sam, with far to much time on his hands!

Hi Oliver,

Saw this bird about a month ago. Without a doubt the best place to see it is here: From the A16/A1028 junction head north until you pass through Burwell. Immediately after the village there is a left turning towards Ruckland. Take this and turn left at the crossroads down into the valley. Come back up the valley on the other side and when you reach the highest point park on the verge (which will probably be marked out due to its constant use). Scan left and you should see a small wood and down at the bottom of the valley a few fishing lakes. I have seen the bird from here in fields behind the wood, but the bird also favours a tiny coppice on the other side of Ruckland (best seen from here).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...d=Zi62yEWHW9fkRATRA8Og0w&cbp=12,81.61,,0,-0.1

The small coppice is just below the zoom button.

Hope this helps!

Sam, with far to much time on his hands!

Cheers Sam that is fantastic help! Bailed on it today due to weather but going to give it a go tomorrow! Been to Skye and never seen one and missed it the 2 or 3 times it came over Norfolk so desperate to get him/her!
Will let you know how I get on :)

The eagle has not been seen for a few days, so if anybody has seen it recently - Mon-Thu, can you post its whereabouts please.

The eagle has not been seen for a few days, so if anybody has seen it recently - Mon-Thu, can you post its whereabouts please.

Might be lying low due to the strong winds and rain? But then would be a bit soft of it seeing as they are Norwegian!
Fingers crossed its still around and someone hasn't taken a cartridge to it :-C

Seems like a well used section of the forum this. I can't believe that the people of Lincolnshire don't give a damn about their county.

Because apart from the odd goody Lincs birding is generally very poor....... I am a Lincs birder but give me the Norfolk or Yorkshire coast anyday! ;)

Because apart from the odd goody Lincs birding is generally very poor....... I am a Lincs birder but give me the Norfolk or Yorkshire coast anyday! ;)

Dean you are like a man who has married a very attractive woman who then complains she is not as beautiful as Miss World. Yes Norfolk is great but there are fewer places in England as good. To my mind, the Linconshire coast is terrific, and on a good day you can see so many varied landscapes in such a compact area. Added to which, you have one of the best bird clubs in Europe.
Yours Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back