• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

Rosefinch in private garden
Doubt a load of twitchers would be welcome round these big houses
If it's still later on I'll see if Pete Collins is around & he can take a look - it may move into a more accessible spot & not my clients garden.

-----------------------

Pleased we've got that nonsense out of the way.

Last edited:
No denying that some great field work has been done in recent years which has revealed the true status of Long-eared, as well as the other owls, in County Durham. The new county avifauna is coming at an excellent time to reveal and publish the findings. Looking forward to seeing the results. Are you writing (or helping with writing) the owl accounts?

Mark

If you want to know the status of owls or any wild bird, ask a gamekeeper or countryman - not a bookworm.

An odd response? It was just a straightforward question Steve. I am genuinely interested in the new county avifauna (the first book written about the birds of County Durham since 1951) being as successful and up to date as possible. It'll be the standard reference point for birders/researchers around the country, libraries etc. and something which contributors can be proud of and which will be referred to many years from now. I was really hoping the fieldwork and research carried out with owls over the past few years would be written up/recorded/published somewhere. :-C

Mark

If the person who has phoned the Police about my activities with owls & boxes, gets in touch, I'll gladly refund the 10p you wasted on the call.

Some people really need to get their facts right ;-)

----------------

Apols Mark, typing on phone & dodging branches & listening out for birds.... It was a stupid answer.

------------

As for the rumour mongering about me being "chucked out" of Durham Bird Club, that also is wholly incorrect.
I have spoken to the chair of that group & he is happy for me to renew my membership.

Lot of green-eyed lurkers out there I reckon.

Last edited:
If the person who has phoned the Police about my activities with owls & boxes, gets in touch, I'll gladly refund the 10p you wasted on the call.

----------------
Steve
That's dreadful (the incident, not your response - I'd be livid and your response is pretty restrained). I tried to PM you my contact details for the survey methodology you mentioned but your message box is full.
Thanks
Chris

Seaton Common - am - Whinchat female, Shorelark in North Gare car park, Yellow Wagtail pair, Wheatear c.20, Kestrel, Linnet c.20. Several Swift and Swallow. Possible second Shorelark on the golf course.

Glaucous Gull on Common opposite tip.

Greatham Creek - Whimbrel x5, Little Ringed Plover x2, Avocets, Shelduck c.40, Oystercatcher x2, Common Tern c.20, Redshank x2, Sparrowhawk female.

Nightingale still at Cowpen Bewley though singing infrequently. Also Jay, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Bullfinch, Long-tailed Tit, Willow Warbler, Blackcap.

Attachments

• IMG_7391a.jpg
    IMG_7391a.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7340a.jpg
    IMG_7340a.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7429a.jpg
    IMG_7429a.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_7705b.jpg
    IMG_7705b.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7721a.jpg
    IMG_7721a.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 141
Good selection of wildlife in the Hetton area
Whimbrel over north calling, pair of Wheatear judging by their actions quite possibly on territory, 2 male Lesser Whitethroats, male Kestrel incubating, 3Greylags, 1 Reed Warbler, 6+ male Sedge Warbler, Mistle & Song Thrushes, excellent population of Linnets, Yellowhammer few & far between but several pairs of Reed Bunting, boat loads of Skylark, several pairs of Lapwing & Grey Partridge, female Pheasant unfussy about where she was nesting, 3 Hares, good nos of Tree Sparrow & Swallow, Gold, Green, Chaff & Bullfinch all seen, with evidence of recent Barn Owl & Cuckoo & its pilot outside farmers front door. Also a few each of Small Copper & Dingy Skipper.

ChrisW - i deleted some messages, otherwise send details to stevieevansATbtinternet.com

Last edited:
Shore Lark

Quick visit this afternoon to North Gare to check out the Shore Lark, and unsuccesfully dodging showers. Then onto Saltholme to see Wood Sandpiper. Both showed well.

Attachments

• Shore-Lark6_edited-1.jpg
    Shore-Lark6_edited-1.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Wood-Sandpiper2.jpg
    Wood-Sandpiper2.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Shore-Lark5_edited-1.jpg
    Shore-Lark5_edited-1.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 109
Nightingale still singing at Cowpen Bewley this morning. A solid hour it sang for from 10.30-11.30 am with barely a pause for breath. It showed several times even sitting out in the open during a heavy shower but disappeared back into cover when the rain stopped.

Likewise with Colin - Wood Sandpiper at RSPB Saltholme this afternoon and at Seaton Common the Shore Lark along with 20+ Wheatear, Linnet, Swift and Swallow. Two Shore Lark were present here yesterday.

Swift c.100 over Saltholme Pools/Petroplus this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_8873aa.jpg
    IMG_8873aa.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8806a.jpg
    IMG_8806a.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8745a.jpg
    IMG_8745a.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8746aa.jpg
    IMG_8746aa.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8716a.jpg
    IMG_8716a.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 106
The Egyptian Goose remains in the area, leaving a small farm pool nr Lumley to return to Ho'Gate Pool

http://flic.kr/p/9H9VHk

Didnt have time for my usual rounds this evening, (gami & McV both reporting nothing out of the ordinary at RMs), but this paid off nicely as a walk along the Wear produced an Otter with 2 kits.

Anecdotal report of a 'white heron' on the R.Wear at Fatfield, presumably an Egret....?

Last edited:
Didnt have time for my usual rounds this evening, (gami & McV both reporting nothing out of the ordinary at RMs), but this paid off nicely as a walk along the Wear produced an Otter with 2 kits.

Nothing? Are you calling my Rainton Meadows firsts (since starting work in the vicinity a year ago) of two rabbits and a grey squirrel nothing?! Tsk! ;)

Heh! Yeah, your otters win! I've never seen one in the wild. |:(|

Nothing? Are you calling my Rainton Meadows firsts (since starting work in the vicinity a year ago) of two rabbits and a grey squirrel nothing?! Tsk! ;)

Heh! Yeah, your otters win! I've never seen one in the wild. |:(|

02:58 - bye you were up early... or was it up late ?

dont mind a bit rabbit, but have never tried squirrel...:eat: ;)

right place right time with Otters, close to you R.Browney & Derwent but its pretty much a lucky dip with them, but kits are clearly audible over a good distance.

-----------------------------------------

popped in to Washington for a quick look round with family

2 broods of Avocet young on wader lake, the second set dont look very old, not sure when they hatched.

Lesser Whitethroat singing again to the rear of the new S.C.Otter enclosure.

another Brief visit from Common Tern at Rainton

Hoping this rain will dump another wader by the end of the day.....

At home we have a brood of Starling fledged, a week & a bit ahead of usual

----------------------------------------

Pleasing to hear recent information with leads from forum users for new pairs of Little & Long-eared Owls on their local patches, at either end of the County.:t:

Last edited:
2nd Brood... How long???

How long after a first brood fledges would a Blackbird wait to start a second one?

We've had a Blackbird with three fledglings in the garden for a few weeks now and we also have a nest with four newly hatched chicks in the front garden. Could it be a second clutch or just a different family?

Also have Great Tits with young in one of our nest boxes for the first time ever too:t:eek::D.

Low Barns
Tawny Owl sat out sunning itself, Kestrel x2 possible 3 may have had one twice, Buzzard, GSW, Sedge warblers, Garden Warblers, and once again missed my BOGEY bird Green Woody spotted by two lads ringing. Plenty of other usual stuff singing.

RSPB Saltholme - am - Phil Stead Hide - Wood Sandpiper seen first thing this morning though failed to reappear at lunchtime. Little else of note of the pool. Redshank x3, Shoveler, Gadwall, Shelduck, Lapwing.

Saltholme Hide - A striking male Ruff was in front of the hide yesterday and again this morning though towards lunchtime it flew across to the Tern/Gull island. Several Common Tern feeding by the hide and several Yellow Wagtails giving and Redshank occasional close views. Dunlin x2 and Little Ringed Plover x2 to left of hide.

Shorelark still at North Gare. Nightingale still at Cowpen Bewley.

Attachments

• IMG_9442a.jpg
    IMG_9442a.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9535a.jpg
    IMG_9535a.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8954a.jpg
    IMG_8954a.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9613a.jpg
    IMG_9613a.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9153aa.jpg
    IMG_9153aa.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 89
Seaton Common - am - Shore Lark, Wheatear c.20, Linnet x.20. Ringed Plover x1 on beach. Flock of Dunlin 40-50 flew over pier heading north.

RSPB Saltholme - Phil Stead Hide - Wood Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Little Ringed Plover.

Saltholme Hide - Ruff, Black-tailed Godwit x2, Garganey x3 drake, Redshank, Little Ringed Plover.

Video of Ruff - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkVxT-nWKFw

Attachments

• IMG_9851a.jpg
    IMG_9851a.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9839a.jpg
    IMG_9839a.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9979a.jpg
    IMG_9979a.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0523a.jpg
    IMG_0523a.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0583a.jpg
    IMG_0583a.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 85
Trip to Saltholme today produced much the same as Ian has already listed, however over the road and opposite Dormans Lower Carpark i got the best views i have ever had of a reeling Grasshopper Warbler & Whitethroat. Spent about 2 hours watching and listening - fantastic to watch :t:

Couple of pictures attached:

Attachments

• DSC_0593-05-15-11_11242.jpg
    DSC_0593-05-15-11_11242.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC_9958-05-15-11_10717.jpg
    DSC_9958-05-15-11_10717.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_9856-05-15-11_10616.jpg
    DSC_9856-05-15-11_10616.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_9880-05-15-11_10640.jpg
    DSC_9880-05-15-11_10640.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back