• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feather ID Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Scridifer

Used Registrar
Supporter
Bulgaria
Found this morning near the Black Sea coast of Bulgaria. Thanks in advance,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_4806thumb.jpg
    IMG_4806thumb.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 80
From the 'fluffy' texture, an owl of some sort, perhaps Barn Owl (is it the darker subspecies guttata in Bulgaria? Not sure offhand)

Yes, owl it certainly is.

My take is a central tail feather of a Long-eared Owl.

Peter

Checking a Long-eared Owl from my freezer stock*, I realised my initial blunder:

Long-eared Owl is (also) bolder barred than that, thus the obvious ID springs to mind, it's the central tail feather of a Tawny Owl, sorry, must have been absent minded:eat:

* I'm an ornithological taxidermist by profession.

Last edited:
Checking a Long-eared Owl from my freezer stock*, I realised my initial blunder:

Long-eared Owl is (also) bolder barred than that, thus the obvious ID springs to mind, it's the central tail feather of a Tawny Owl, sorry, must have been absent minded:eat:

Many thanks Peter! Tawny makes sense, had it been LEO it would have been my first 'observation' in my locale.
I knew you were a taxidermist LOL!

Chris

For my own interest - what excludes guttata Barn Owl? That rather golden-buff colour near the base of the vane is what made me think Barn Owl, and I can't recollect ever seeing that colour on a Tawny.

For my own interest - what excludes guttata Barn Owl? That rather golden-buff colour near the base of the vane is what made me think Barn Owl, and I can't recollect ever seeing that colour on a Tawny.

The ground colour of Barn Owl is far more orange, and the barring more regular and bold.

You can see central tail-feathers here on the second photo bottom left, and on the third and fourth photo bottom right.

So, Tawny Owl is certainly is;)

https://www.featherbase.info/en/species/Tyto/alba

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back