• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SHenandoah Natl. Park, Virginia - Warbler ID needed (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
I think this is a Magnolia Warbler - perhaps first year.
Could someone with good experience offer their opinions please?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ww1.jpg
    ww1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 79
  • ww2.jpg
    ww2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 73
  • ww3.jpg
    ww3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 67
  • ww4.jpg
    ww4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 73
  • ww5.jpg
    ww5.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 83
It is a Cape May Warbler - note the extensive, fine streaking, white wing panel, and face pattern. Also, Magnolia Warblers have very distinctive undertail patterns - mostly black with a broad white band near the end of the undertail coverts. This bird shows a mostly whitish undertail with a black "border". Here's a shot of a Magnolia's undertail:

Neil G.

Attachments

• MAWA1.jpg
    MAWA1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 58
I discounted Cape May because I thought I was out out of range (3000+ foot mountains along Virginia-West Virginia border).

Thank you for this ID!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back