• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax or Hoya? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
My Pentax Papilio that I bought some years ago has "PENTAX Corp. MADE IN CHINA" printed on the plate with the manufacturing number. However, a newly bought one for my son now has PENTAX replaced by HOYA. Everything else seems to be the same. (Except the manufacturing number, of course, and the fact that one is 6.5x21, he other one 8.5x21.)
So I presume Pentax is now owned by Hoya? Or are some Pentax models made by Hoya? The Pentax name is displayed prominently on both models. I'd be interested to know whether Pentax is now only a trade name, and when the change happened. Anyone here who knows more?

Pentax is now a wholly-owned SUBSIDARY of Hoya Corp. Their merger was completed about 2yrs ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back