• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic GX7 for Digiscoping.... (1 Viewer)

Problem with mirrorless camera's as compared to compact camera's is the mechanical shutter. It causes the camera to vibrate when using long shutter times, more then about 1/800, but for long total fl's even somewhat higher. The only possibility to prevent that is only digiscope with very good light or use the highest burst mode, which doesn't use - at least in the G-series - the mechanical shutter. But using that mode only the smallest JPEG is available. This 'shutter shake syndrome' is the reason I am going to buy a compact camera, probably a Sony RX100 II and use my Panasonic DMC G3 for other kinds of photography then digiscoping.

Problem with mirrorless camera's as compared to compact camera's is the mechanical shutter. It causes the camera to vibrate when using long shutter times, more then about 1/800, but for long total fl's even somewhat higher. The only possibility to prevent that is only digiscope with very good light or use the highest burst mode, which doesn't use - at least in the G-series - the mechanical shutter. But using that mode only the smallest JPEG is available. This 'shutter shake syndrome' is the reason I am going to buy a compact camera, probably a Sony RX100 II and use my Panasonic DMC G3 for other kinds of photography then digiscoping.

The review of the GX7 says you can use either a mechanical or electronic shutter. Perhaps this would solve the problem you had with the G3?

Best,
Jim

Yes, this would solve the problem, if everything else, like image quality, is the same (or better). But it is not clear to me from the review if I can shoot RAW using the electronic shutter and not only with the machanical.

Last edited:
Well, a camera that is already out there and has the electronic shutter is the G5. According to this thread in DPReview, (which actually discusses a single case of defective processing in one specific camera) specifically states that the person using the camera has used electronic shutter with both jpg and raw images.

Disadvantage of electronic shutter in some instances is some artifact if parts of the scene is moving.

Niels

Yes, this would solve the problem, if everything else, like image quality, is the same (or better). But it is not clear to me from the review if I can shoot RAW using the electronic shutter and not only with the machanical.
You can shoot RAW with electronic shutter, but it in fact makes matter worse because of odd distortions it adds to moving subjects, regardless of shutter speed. I use it extensively - not for birds, but to alleviate motion blur caused by myself, e.g. macro shots with fairly static subjects in low light conditions. From my experience, best for birds is burst - which GX7 is certainly capable of.

Attachments

• _1030085.JPG
    _1030085.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 285
  • _1030110.JPG
    _1030110.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 271
Yes, i use a G5 with the Sigma 30mm for Digiscoping. Sometimes you'll get very funny pics with the electronic shutter. But it isn't that bad. Only fast moving Objects will cause that distorsion. I read an article about that. The sensor needs about 1/10 s for readout from top to bottom. So you'll get sharp images line by line with fast shutter speeds but the object will have moved during this period. Only a global shutter could solve this problem (read out the whole sensor in one instance), but we have to wait one or two years....

Last edited:
Old thread, but a reply anyway. I have shot with the G3 without mechanical shutter for 1 1/2 year and use a GX1 now. No problems with the vibration, just shoot on a pillow or hold the hand on the cam and shoot in burst mode. I even have some sharp shots at 1/25 of second.

www.flickr.com/wing73

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back