• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for Swarovsky ATX 95 (1 Viewer)

Bagoly75

Camera for Swarovski ATX 95

Hi,
I am new here and in digiscoping and would like to ask for your experiences and recommendations.
I have an Swaro ATX 95 for some months, now already a TLS Apo adapter and looking for a camera for optimal use.
In the late sommer I asked many foto shops, and many of them suggested for this use the Olympus OM-D EM5. Now there is the new EM1, but also the Panasonic Lumix GH3, GX7, etc are interesting ones.
What would you recommend?

To begin with a cheap EM5? Or a GH3 for very good video function? Or the more expensive new EM1? Or the unfortunatelly not weather proof GX7?

Do you find the WLAN function usefull? I the video function so necessary, or is it very difficult to follow a bird with a spective, so a video is not very important at all?

Many questions from a beginner, but please report about your sight and experiences.

Thanks very much and best regards
Balazs

Last edited:
I don't know the camera's you mention, but I think the panasonics and Olympus camera's are OK. It is not necessary to buy the newer, more expensive ones, if you don't need the extra's, because optically, they won't be noticably different. I never felt the urge to use a WLAN, but maybe you do. Video is only important if you want to take videos. I never tried to make a video of flying birds and I think it will be very difficult, but it is also posible to make a video of - for instance - groups of feeding birds, of a bird of prey eating a mouse, etc. And that's not too difficult.

Hi,
I am new here and in digiscoping and would like to ask for your experiences and recommendations.
I have an Swaro ATX 95 for some months, now already a TLS Apo adapter and looking for a camera for optimal use.
In the late sommer I asked many foto shops, and many of them suggested for this use the Olympus OM-D EM5. Now there is the new EM1, but also the Panasonic Lumix GH3, GX7, etc are interesting ones.
What would you recommend?

To begin with a cheap EM5? Or a GH3 for very good video function? Or the more expensive new EM1? Or the unfortunatelly not weather proof GX7?

Do you find the WLAN function usefull? I the video function so necessary, or is it very difficult to follow a bird with a spective, so a video is not very important at all?

Many questions from a beginner, but please report about your sight and experiences.

Thanks very much and best regards
Balazs

Balazs
The TLS APO should already have the T2/Micro 4/3 adapter fitted so go for the Panasonic GX7. Excellent camera with Electronic Viewfinder and Focus Peaking for ease of manual focusing, as well as great HD video which is almost as good as GH3.
Neil.

Maybe Nikon V1 will also a good idea. The viewfinder is ok an the cropfaktor 2,x will bring you a littel bit more extention. And the nikon will be cheaper...

Olli

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back