• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski: changes in recent years? (1 Viewer)

AJP

I have a relatively new (2 years old) pair of 8x32, but I'm giving serious consideration to upgrading to 10x42. I might look into purchasing them secondhand (which means they might be a bit older), and I wondered if Swarovski has added, changed, or improved any features in recent years that I should be aware of?

I know the Swarovision was added recently, but not sure how long ago that started. I saw a 10x42 EL SV used recently on another forum. There are some sights closing out last years model for the 2016. I understand the 2016 is cosmetic changes.

I am assuming the 10x42 el is what you are looking at vs the SLC HD.

Allegedly, Swarovski added more pincushion to more recent productions of 42mm SV ELs to compensate for the severe AMD that causes some people to experience rolling ball (aka 'the globe effect").

A couple members reported that they tried an early 10x42 SV EL and found the RB distracting, but more recently, they tried a 10x42 SV EL and didn't notice any RB or it was minimal.

The 8.5x and 10x42 models have the least amount of pincushion of all the SV ELs, so if you experience RB, those are the models that would most likely affect you. If so, look for a recent model 10x42 SV EL (2014/15 serial #), which might work better for you.

Brock

Brock may well be right that the EL SV 10x42 has been redesigned as well, but I'm only aware of changes to the 8.5x42. It's hard to be definite about what happened as no information has been released by Swarovski and I'm relying on my own judgement and some other comments on the forum which may not be totally reliable.

I thought the original was sharp but had a moustache distortion that some complained about causing a visual AMD disturbance usually referred to as 'rolling ball' here. A couple of years ago I tried several more samples in a short time period and the "moustache" had gone but they were all were distinctly softer than the SLC, but there also seemed to be subtle differences in the colour balance and glare control. We have seen cut-aways of the ELSV with quite different lens configurations on the forum. The most recent 8.5x42s I've tried appeared sharp again, but with more AMD than MkII but for me it did not seem as objectionable as the original. I've not seen the latest version with the new strap attachment yet to know if there have been further optical changes.

I think the answer is try before you buy and do careful comparisons to be sure you like what you are getting.

Good luck,

David

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back