• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (3 Viewers)

4 greater flamingo on the lagoons currently.

2 Spoonbill and a kingfisher to add to the list. 9 marble teal today.

QUOTE=eagle33;3764687]Good evening all. Arrived at the hotel Lagotel over looking the albufera marsh again, top floor.
Bird list so far
Dark eleonora's falcon, osprey, purple heron, marble teal, swifts, audouins gull, glossy Ibis, stone Curlew, usual waders and ducks. Few thousands swallows with some sandmartins.
��
[/QUOTE]

An evening seawatch from my local lighthouse produced 50 Scopoli’s shearwaters loafing on a dead calm sea. One Balearic shearwater flew past so they are beginning to appear in our waters once more. Mike

An evening seawatch from my local lighthouse produced 50 Scopoli’s shearwaters loafing on a dead calm sea. One Balearic shearwater flew past so they are beginning to appear in our waters once more. Mike

I’ll be in Mallorca this time next week staying at Ca’n Picafort. Is your local lighthouse anywhere nearby?

Regards

Twentywell

Hi twentywell, yes, I’m afraid it’s quite a trek to the south-east but you should be fine anywhere along the east coast. There must be a few areas of coast near the north-east where shearwaters can be seen. If anyone knows of a shearwater site in the north please post.
Good luck, do let us know what you see.mike

Ps I have just remembered our annual outing to cap capdepera if you have transport, it’s near Cala Rajada and the best place is up the hill by the lighthouse. There are good views of Menorca and the shearwaters show really well. Dolphins too. Mike.

Ps I have just remembered our annual outing to cap capdepera if you have transport, it’s near Cala Rajada and the best place is up the hill by the lighthouse. There are good views of Menorca and the shearwaters show really well. Dolphins too. Mike.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. Unfortunately, my only means of transport are shank’s pony or the local buses which will get me up the coast to S’Albufeira and Puerto Pollensa and all places in between. And within walking distance, I hope, is Son Real where Balearic Warblers hide away! I’m on a family holiday and I shall not be birding every day, just the hours when I get my chitty signed!

Twentywell

Hello there everyone, just putting a toe in the water.
We will be on the Island mid May, hoping that someone could recommend a decent bird guide book for the Island along with a good map. We understand a book was launched early this year but will not be translated for a while.
Our current experience amounts to the Albufera Marsh, Son Bosc and Boquer
All and any help greatly appreciated.
Regards
Tony and Cath.

Hello there everyone, just putting a toe in the water.
We will be on the Island mid May, hoping that someone could recommend a decent bird guide book for the Island along with a good map. We understand a book was launched early this year but will not be translated for a while.
Our current experience amounts to the Albufera Marsh, Son Bosc and Boquer
All and any help greatly appreciated.
Regards
Tony and Cath.

There are a couple of available guides: “A Birding Tourist’s Guide to Majorca” is available in English and is a recent and excellent publication; Dave Gosney’s “Finding Birds in Mallorca” is also pretty good. As far as field guides go “Collins” is hard to beat.

Stew

Hi Pere
I wish I could be there. It's a great place - and not just for birds.
Martin

Hi Martin and everyone,
The tour to Dragonera was great, plenty of Eleonora's falcons and many Balearic warblers, 4 Booted eagles (3 dark and 1 light morphs), several Blue rock thrush, Audouin's gull, quite a few Willow warbler, Pied flycatcher, Common redstart... and of course, plenty of Lilford's wall lizard subsp gigliolii. All together a great experience!
Let me know when you'll come next and we can organize a visit to Dragonera or to Cabrera.
All the best.

There are a couple of available guides: “A Birding Tourist’s Guide to Majorca” is available in English and is a recent and excellent publication; Dave Gosney’s “Finding Birds in Mallorca” is also pretty good. As far as field guides go “Collins” is hard to beat.

Stew

Thanks for that Stew, I will get shopping to replace the 1982 copy of the Eddie Watkinson book somebody kindly gave us two years ago.

T & C

Hello, finally going through my pics from my Mallorca trip this summer. I got stuck on this strange looking heron from S'Albufera. Huge yellow bill, looks mostly like Squacco to me, but still not?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Hello!
In my opinion Squacco Heron too. I guess a juvenile. Looking at the bird guidebook I think it couldn't be another one.
Regards,
Cristina.

Scops Owl and more

Hello again!

We have very good news for la Gola. One Scops Owl has been reported by Nigel Smallbones. It has been heard very early this morning calling from somewhere inside the pinewood. Perhaps it is only a migrant passing through but, in spite of that, a very good new.

Today, you can see four kinds of herons in the park: Grey Heron, Little Egret, Squacco Heron and again the juvenile Night Heron.
Also some Crossbills were calling this morning from the pinetrees.

And remind you that tomorrow we have the first coffee-talk of this autumn: What do barn owls tell us? Threats and conservation. At 3.30pm

Regards,
Cristina.

And another one from my summertrip to Mallorca. This time it is from Cuber. The prominent white throat and the lack of red around the eye makes me a bit curious. I mean, it is Cuber... ;-)

Or is it just a pretty odd looking female Sardinian?

Attachments

• sang1b.jpg
    sang1b.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 77
Mortitx, La Gola and Boquer today

In Mortitx this morning with Russell, Richard, Jenny and Mary: many Black vultures in the valley, 1 Bonelli's and 1 Booted eagles, many Blue Rock thrush singing and flying around, Cirl buntings, Redstarts, Firecrests, 2 Wrynecks heard, 1 Barn Swallow, quite a lot of Crag Martins and Swifts flying high near the vultures... But the best moments have been 1 Lesser kestrel perched on top of a rock and a group of (at least) 26 Black vultures flying very high and distant just when we were leaving the valley.

Lunch at la Gola (thanks Cris), with a nice Squacco heron plus Little egret and Grey heron.

Afternoon in the Boquer valley: very quiet (and very hot), lots of Sardinian heard, also BR thrush, plus some Stonechats, Crag Martins and a minimum of 5 Balearic warblers. Altogether not a bad day.

We are going again to Mortitx and to Boquer next week in case anyone is interested. Also to Son Real, Formentor and a full day for a deep visit in and around Albufera.

Last edited:
S Albufera Flamingo

1 of the 9 Flamingos had a ring on.

Attachments

• FlamingoB.jpg
    FlamingoB.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 22
  • Flamingoring.jpg
    Flamingoring.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 29
Very enjoyable Craig, thanks for posting.
Some lovely photos too.
Hope to see you next time.
Four Honey Buzzard and one Hobby at the Cap this morning.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back