• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona Guides (1 Viewer)

Andy Benson

Does anyone know of any birding guides (as in persons),paid or otherwise in South-eastern Arizona who maybe available for one or two days in mid August? I have emailed SABO but have had no reply.

There are a number in the Tucson, Patagonia, Sierra Vista area. I'll get some email addresses when I get home tonight. Rick Wright from Tucson is supposed to be very good, he is a member here also.
I'd be happy to show you around the Sierra Vista, San Pedro River, Huachuca Mountain area if it is a weekend day (start school again in early August).

Last edited:
I've birded with Melody Kehl, and I'd recommend her wholeheartedly. Jack Murray is another guide I've birded with in Madera Canyon. Stuart Healy is a guide out of Sierra Vista. Wezil Walraven and PD Hulce are guides as well. PD now lives near Portal, in the Chiricahuas.

The ABA Directory may have other names.

Steve in Houston

Thanks both Lisa and Steve for the rapid responce. Am away on buisness for a couple of days but am hoping to get sorted with a guide over weekend or early next week- be prepaired for endless requests from me over the coming months for sites ect! ;)

Following on from my initial posting does anyone here know of any worthwhile birding sites/areas around Phoenix? We are staying here for over a week before moving on to Tuscon (in August). Also am wondering what Arizonan specialties that I should be able to bump into on say a drive in the mountains or across the desert. Bit vague to start off with but this wont be the last post!
Thanks in advance

One of the places I hear about in the Phoenix area is Boyce Thompson Arboretum, also Gilbert Water Ranch. One thing you might want to do is subscribe to or just start looking at the Arizona New Mexico Bird list:
http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/AZNM.html#1179555641
I don't subscribe to it, but go on it most nights. It gives a very nice rundown of what's happening where as far as birds are concerned.

Thanks for the info Lisa, I'll certainly keep an eye on that one. Visited your web site, got some stunning pics there! Especially the Rufous Vs Black-chinned :}. I may well take you up on hooking up when we visit if its convinient, you certainly seem to know your own back yard!

Desert birds

I have little experience in the Phoenix area but would suggest any parks or canyons in or near town. It will be hot so early morning is best. Phoenix is hotter than Tucson most of the time. If you miss any typical desert species in Phoenix be sure to make a stop at Tucson Mountain Park and the Arizona - Sonora Desert Museum. If it's early a walk near the museum before it opens is usually productive.

Thanks, I think that (Rufous V Black-chinned) might just be the shot of my life - though I'll keep trying for better ones.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back