• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiang Mai (1 Viewer)

Pitta Patter

I'm doing a 2 week tour of northern Thailand next February. I arrive in Chiang Mai at around 14:30 on 11 Feb 2018. I have the rest of that day to do a little birding in the area potentially before the tour starts the following day. Someone has suggested I visit Doi Suthep university grounds. Does anyone know this site and know what species are typically there for that time of year or can recommend others within easy reach of Chiang Mai? I have been to southern and central Thailand before so I should be reasonably familiar with the common species.

I visited Thailand in December 2014, but I would suspect that many of the same species would be present in February. I had hoped to spend a day at Doi Inthanon, but had a bad experience with the tour company and ended up visiting Doi Suthep temple instead.
There were quite a few birds in the forest around the temple; Black crested, Red cheeked and Stripe throated bulbuls, Scarlet minivet, Grey cheeked fulvetta, Dusky, Yellow browed, Arctic, Pale legged/Sakhalin leaf warbler, Grey tit, Black throated sunbird, Blue throated barbet, Dusky woodswallow, Palm swift, Blue tailed bee-eater, OHB and Blue rock thrush are the ones I remember.
This link from North Thailand birding may be of use.
If you can't get too far out of the city, perhaps look at Star Dome Golf Club or Nong Buak Hard Public Park as alternatives.

Thank you guys for your comments. Not sure I will have sufficient time to get to Mae Hia College in one afternoon but will give it a go. Failing that will try and find a local park somewhere or just chill before the big tour starts the next day.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back