• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Webcam: Osprey Nest in Montana (1 Viewer)

MontanaOspreyCam

Registered Member
Hello fellow birders!

We just installed a new camera on an Osprey nest in Missoula, Montana. We are still working on building the website and adding content (information, photos, archived videos....) but right now you can view the camera without all that clutter!

You can control the camera yourself at: www.montanaospreycam.com

Feel free to move it around and zoom in on the birds in the nest! They should be laying eggs soon, so please come back and visit us often. Plus we are continually adding new features and information as we build the site.

Thanks for your visit! :loveme:

lovely looking birds there. :) and being able to operate the camera is great lol. Do you have any history or stories to tell us about them.

Thanks for checking us out, Ann! I like to zoom in right to their face and then click on "snapshot" to get photos of them...lol. That is how I got my little avatar/picture thing for the forum.

I am working on creating video clips of noteworthy things that they have done (and will do once the eggs are there!). Hopefully we will have some content on the page soon and you can read about the project.

We only installed the camera a few weeks ago and have only been monitoring this nest for that short period of time so I don't have any real history on this pair. I am open to suggestions for names and once the chicks are ready, we will hopefully have enough funds to tag them all and see if they come back next year.

I have uploaded two of the clips to youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IMC2OZEhdM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NKNskfGTH8) if you are interested in watching.

Sorry this is such a long reply! :)

no apology needed. Us osprey fans can all rabbit on sometimes lol. Your eggs are a lot later than our osprey eggs here. We're over half way through our incubation now. Your web cam will now be looked at in finland as elanor will have posted the link. Do they have problems with many intruders there? Good luck with picking names. Its never easy. Lol.

It is still snowing here, but hopefully they will lay the eggs soon! They sure do mate a lot ;-)

I don't mind intruders on the site....the more the merrier! We put the camera up for a non-profit organization and they are trying to bring in funds from the Google ads to defray the cost and pay for tagging the chicks/adults....so the more people I can attract to the site for them, the better!

Actually, the stick thing is something we have been discussing..... Just who has the final say in stick placement in the nest?? We have been seeing that no matter who brings in the stick, the female puts it in the final place.

Have you guys noticed anything similar with the Scotland birds?

hahahaha at the stick. This year the lowes nest has had a few half trees appear. Its not always been as woody as it is this year. Our Frank likes to bring lots of things to the nest. Our old male Eric liked to bring divots of grass to the nest. It looked very comfy. Frank likes to bring bark which looks like carpet lol. Bless him he.s a trier. As for who places the twigs i think Marge sorts it after Frank has 'fixed' it. He.s a bit clumsy and for a few days gently placed twigs across her back!! Whats that all about then? I say its the osprey version of flowers lol. Your youtube videos are awesome :). Have you checked out Loch garten web cam? Thats EJ and Odin there. There is also loch garten bloggers on facebook which has loads of discussions including loch of the lowes. Anyway off for my supper which will not be trout lol.

I think divots of grass would be much more comfortable! It looks like our female has been moving the larger woody chunks out of the center and softening up the "cup" area.....please lay eggs soon!! :)

I'm not sure if I can handle another webcam!! lol. I am supposed to be working on our site, and I keep getting caught on the Scotland sites..... I love it!

Do you know our time difference? I am in Mountain Standard Time in the US. I'm sure I can find it online, but I was just curious what time it was over there.

oh and i.ve thought up names lol. Monty and Anna. Lol. Very original haha. It is 10.41 here so i am signing off for tonight. I.ll pm you tomorrow with an interesting link. Night night.

oh and i.ve thought up names lol. Monty and Anna. Lol. Very original haha. It is 10.41 here so i am signing off for tonight. I.ll pm you tomorrow with an interesting link. Night night.

Those names are actually PERFECT! We have a University in town (University of Montana) and the mascot is a Grizzly Bear named Monty. There is a HUGE following for this school in our town so the male name really works....and of course, how can you have Monty without Anna. lol....I like it! I'll submit your ideas.

woo hoo. Thanks. :). Have a nice evening whatever you are doing. I am going to inspect the insides of my eyelids. All this osprey watching exhausts me haha.

I don't believe it Ann you even get perfect names for across the pond!

Sorry Tracy but Ann and I have occasionally differed on the 'convention' of us naming wildlife. However Ann has won, as last year I gave in and started calling Marge (and Eric) by name, and now also Frank, you do get close to the birds especially when you can visit. I just find it incredible that Ann found names so quick that suit your birds! :clap::clap::clap:Well done the other godmother;)

wow aren't they close to the river there. What trout do they catch? Is it rainbow there? We have native brown but there are stocked lochs with rainbow which our last male had a taste for. This male, frank, likes perch. It may be due to the temp what he catches but time will tell.

wow aren't they close to the river there. What trout do they catch? Is it rainbow there? We have native brown but there are stocked lochs with rainbow which our last male had a taste for. This male, frank, likes perch. It may be due to the temp what he catches but time will tell.

Morning Ann! (well it is already noon here, but I wasn't home all morning |=)|)

There are rainbow trout and browns but mostly western cutthroat trout. I am not sure what types this pair will prefer yet, but it will be interesting to see.

We recently added a Blog to the website where I can post osprey events and news! As a way of introducing people to the blog, we are holding a contest for people to guess the day that our female lays the first egg!

Check it out and place your guess.....(I will even send you a prize if you are right) :)

www.montanaospreycam.com

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back