• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fairy Pitta in Mokpo (1 Viewer)

asterisktom

Malaysia
Does anyone know how common, relatively speaking, Fairy Pittas are in South Korea? My wife and I, having taken a lesser used path on our way down Mt. Yudalsan in Mokpo, came across this beautiful bird.

I am so glad that I took a second look. At first I thought I was just seeing a jay!

A couple pictures to follow. I think I also have a recording of the call, but I still have to sort through all of the pictures.

Attachments

• FairyPitta1.jpg
    FairyPitta1.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 78
  • FairyPitta2.JPG
    FairyPitta2.JPG
    775.5 KB · Views: 86
Hi Asterisktom,

It is rare & localised in S. Korea - " breeds on Chuju (Juju) Island & perhaps on the mainland." So you have a major find there - well done!

H

A great find - very well done!

cheers, alan

Thanks for the feedback, Alan and H. I guess this was the birding highlight of my 2 weeks in South Korea.

I would normally have posted these photos to Flickr but, unfortunately, in its most recent snit, has blocked Flickr.

I believe they're also meant to occur near Yeosu. I guess no one birds Korea in summer!

We tried to go to Yeosu, were as close as Suncheon. But we just could not get credible nature information about the area around that city. We didn't want another profound birding dissapointment like this so-called nature park (the name escapes me now) with acres and acres of manicured lawns, whimsical statues and flowers, a nature-themed gaudily covered and roofed bridge across across a stream - with piped in bird calls and goofy children's songs.

Koreans here took a page right out of China's book.

Aside from Jeju, they breed in several locations along the south coast and less frequently further north to Seoul. There is even a report from Paju.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back