• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me choose a pair ~x32 binoculars? (1 Viewer)

tocirahl

Hi I was wondering if I could get a recommendation on some binoculars for an upcoming trip. Looking for something around 8x32 size for portability and stability. Currently choosing between the Hawke Endurance ED 8x32 @ $150, Celestron Trailseeker 8x32 @ $120, the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32 @ $170, or the Nikon Prostaff 7S 8x30 @ $140.

Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Besides the standard suggestion when it comes to 8x30 binoculars (that would be Swarovski Habicht 8x30) I did find a real gem last year at a wildlife exhibition.

Kite Optics LYNX HD 8x30
https://www.kiteoptics.com/en/hunting/product/84/lynx-hd-8x30/

Very sharp, vivid colors, high contrast, extremely wide FOV, a fast and smooth focus wheel and all over quality feel. 30 years warranty and one of the best binoculars I've looked through!
It's also small and light weight. Not too small though.

Field of view: 151m

Minimum Focus: 1.3m

Eye Relief: 15mm

Exit Pupil: 3.75mm

Height x Width: 120mm x 114mm

Weight: 461g

They have also released a version of this with the same name only naming it 8x30 HD+ (plus). I have not tried that version but if I were to purchase I would go for the non + version as it can be had for less money now that there is a newer version out. Is the new one better, or only advertised as such? I do not know.

Here's what Kite optics said about the difference between the two:

"
Please find below the upgrades for the new KITE LYNX HD+:

Upgrades relative to LYNX HD gen. 1 :

- 2% optical transmisson increase.

- 4-stage removable twist-up eyecup

- Improved comfort for spectacle wearers

- attached objective covers

The new KITE LYNXH HD+ 8x30 will cost € 575,00
"

Attachments

• KITE_LYNXHD.jpg
    KITE_LYNXHD.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
32mm binocukars, not 32x binocukars..?! Was about to provide info on some of the latter I have, but seems you want the former and you’ve got some good suggestions. Viewing birds long distance at 32x can be amazing though.

Peter

Bramberg, I'm afraid the price of the Kite Lynx is beyond the budget of tocirahl, since they are usually above the 400 €/$ mark, and he/she seems to be looking for something in the 120-170 $ region.

With that in mind, my vote will go to the Kowa YF 8x30 (or it's Leupold sibling, the Yosemite, that can be found for way less than that). I know porro style binoculars are not for everyone, but if you don't mind the wider shape (which is incidentally a joy to hold), the YF provide a stunning view for the money: sharp, bright and with the plasticity and 3D-esque view only porros provide). My advice would be to at least try them.

Or else, simply wait for a second hand unit of some of the above mentioned binoculars.

As for the Lynx, its Nikon relative (the Monarch 7 8x30) can be found second hand for around 200 €/$, a great performer for the price too if you find one.
Do let us know what you finally decide to get.

Thank you for all the input everyone. I decided to go with the Celestrons since the price was right, space was at a large premium, and the reviews indicate it's quite sharp.

Thank you for all the input everyone. I decided to go with the Celestrons since the price was right, space was at a large premium, and the reviews indicate it's quite sharp.

Hi,

please let us know how they are... interesting though, these are 250€ over here...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back