• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding from Incheon (1 Viewer)

DrRich

I arrive at Incheon at 9am on a Sunday. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could try visiting that day? Is there anywhere local to the airport that I could check out?
Most of my stay I will be in Daejeon working, and I am hoping ot get to Seosan to see Baikal Teal, but I am still gathering info (mainly from birdskorea).

Thanks a lot,

Richard

Hi Richard

I have just stayed four days in Incheon with Spile Millington. I did local birding around the area. The best site is Namdong Reservoir, where Spike and I found a first-winter male Baer's Pochard on Tuesday afternoon. It was on a narrow channel which flowed out of the north-east (?) corner of the reservoir under a road bridge. It was with a small group of Pochard and was about 400 metres down the channel, nearly at the next road bridge. However, on Wednesday morning I walked all round the reservoir and finally refound the bird when looking from the busy multi-highway road (where the light was good), when it emerged out of the reeds around 12.30 pm and gave very good views.

Other birds included Falcated Duck (2 males) and Siberian Accentor (at least two in bushes along the shore on the other side of the res from the main road.

I am now back in the UK.

Hope that helps

John

Hi Richard

I have just stayed four days in Incheon with Spile Millington. I did local birding around the area. The best site is Namdong Reservoir, where Spike and I found a first-winter male Baer's Pochard on Tuesday afternoon. It was on a narrow channel which flowed out of the north-east (?) corner of the reservoir under a road bridge. It was with a small group of Pochard and was about 400 metres down the channel, nearly at the next road bridge. However, on Wednesday morning I walked all round the reservoir and finally refound the bird when looking from the busy multi-highway road (where the light was good), when it emerged out of the reeds around 12.30 pm and gave very good views.

Other birds included Falcated Duck (2 males) and Siberian Accentor (at least two in bushes along the shore on the other side of the res from the main road.

I am now back in the UK.

Hope that helps

John

John,

I think this the same place as Dongmak Lagoon. I found the site below when googling for Namdong reservoir, and the photos show the site that others have called Dongmak Lagoon, with an artificial island for breeding Black-faced Spoonbill.

http://goni-drawing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/2012-08-18-nam-dong-reservoir.html

If so, it's very easy to get to on the subway - across the road from Dongmak station. Not sure whether Black-faced Spoonbill are still there at this time of year? I saw them there on 16th Oct 2011, together with plenty of waders and duck, though - one of the best sites I managed to visit in Seoul, though I was limited to public transport.

Cheers,
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back