• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North West England + Tawny Owl (1 Viewer)

2520years

Lurking in the bushes is wrong.
I've got two questions:

1) Last night I heard a Tawny Owl from the comfort of my bed. I'm certain it's new to our area. My family told me a week ago they'd heard it, but I thought it must have been a Wood Pigeon. If I was to be daft enough to go out at 4:30 tomorrow morning how would I maximise my chances of seeing it? I've seen people use red-light on TV because birds don't see it, but I don't know if that's just a torch with a red filter. I've never seen a wild owl before.

2) I live in Warrington, Cheshire and have a list of birds I'd like to see. I'm only likely to get one or two chances to go out before the end of the year because my wife's due to pop out another kid in a couple of weeks. Where would you recommend to see as many of these as possible in a day?
Wheatear, Blackcap, Siskin, Kingfisher, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Tree Sparrow, Warblers, Green Woodpecker, Whitethroat, any raptors.

Thanks for your time.

...... 1) Last night I heard a Tawny Owl from the comfort of my bed. I'm certain it's new to our area. My family told me a week ago they'd heard it, but I thought it must have been a Wood Pigeon. If I was to be daft enough to go out at 4:30 tomorrow morning how would I maximise my chances of seeing it? I've seen people use red-light on TV because birds don't see it, but I don't know if that's just a torch with a red filter. I've never seen a wild owl before.

Tawny Owls are very difficult to see. I would say, forget trying to see it at night. Have a walk around the trees where you heard it calling from, and without making it obvious, see if you can see it roosting high up.

2) I live in Warrington, Cheshire and have a list of birds I'd like to see. I'm only likely to get one or two chances to go out before the end of the year because my wife's due to pop out another kid in a couple of weeks. Where would you recommend to see as many of these as possible in a day?
Wheatear, Blackcap, Siskin, Kingfisher, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Tree Sparrow, Warblers, Green Woodpecker, Whitethroat, any raptors.

I know Merseyside much better than Warrington, but here's my advice:

Wheatear - no chance. It's a summer visitor You'll need to wait until at least March.

Blackcap - same as Wheatear. Some do overwinter, but not easy to find. Try Moore (just off the Chester road, heading towards Daresbury). They have feeders where plenty of woodland birds come to feed.

Siskin - any alder trees. Moore should be good for these.

Kingfisher - take a walk along any canal. Possibly Appleton Reservoir.

Nuthatch and Treecreeper - Moore.

Tree Sparrow - no idea in the Warrington area. If you're prepared to travel to St Helens, you'll have no problem finding them. Let me know if you need any sites.

Warblers - Blackcap and possibly Chiffchaff are the only warblers you have any chance of seeing at this time of year.

Green Woodpecker - Moore.

Whitethroat - no chance. Summer only.

Raptors - Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Buzzard all at Moore.

Tawny Owls are very difficult to see. I would say, forget trying to see it at night. Have a walk around the trees where you heard it calling from, and without making it obvious, see if you can see it roosting high up.

I know Merseyside much better than Warrington, but here's my advice:

Wheatear - no chance. It's a summer visitor You'll need to wait until at least March.

Blackcap - same as Wheatear. Some do overwinter, but not easy to find. Try Moore (just off the Chester road, heading towards Daresbury). They have feeders where plenty of woodland birds come to feed.

Siskin - any alder trees. Moore should be good for these.

Kingfisher - take a walk along any canal. Possibly Appleton Reservoir.

Nuthatch and Treecreeper - Moore.

Tree Sparrow - no idea in the Warrington area. If you're prepared to travel to St Helens, you'll have no problem finding them. Let me know if you need any sites.

Warblers - Blackcap and possibly Chiffchaff are the only warblers you have any chance of seeing at this time of year.

Green Woodpecker - Moore.

Whitethroat - no chance. Summer only.

Raptors - Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Buzzard all at Moore.

Wow, thanks Coigach! I'll go to Moore then! I've been there a couple of times, but mostly see the water birds. Is there a particular part of Moore I should look? I've parked just over the bridge before and walked straight past the new-ish hide then up to the feeding area. Then I've turned back and then turned left to do a loop that goes past the lakes and up a big slope back to the road. Am I in the wrong place?
Cheers.

Wow, thanks Coigach! I'll go to Moore then! I've been there a couple of times, but mostly see the water birds. Is there a particular part of Moore I should look? I've parked just over the bridge before and walked straight past the new-ish hide then up to the feeding area. Then I've turned back and then turned left to do a loop that goes past the lakes and up a big slope back to the road. Am I in the wrong place?
Cheers.

No you're not in the wrong place. The feeding area is usually pretty good for the woodland birds.

Thanks chaps. I think I must walk around with my eyes shut! (I'm usually rushed and I'm not very good on the songs.)

There you go - a job whilst waiting for kiddy to be born / while away the sleepless nights ... buy a CD of bird song and get learning ... it really does help! Just concentrate on learning one species at a time until you've nailed it. Don't listen to hte whole CD at once - too bamboozling!

Good Luck

Claire

There you go - a job whilst waiting for kiddy to be born / while away the sleepless nights ... buy a CD of bird song and get learning ... it really does help! Just concentrate on learning one species at a time until you've nailed it. Don't listen to hte whole CD at once - too bamboozling!

Good Luck

Claire

Haha! Good advice, I've got such a CD & listened to it all at once...

If there's anyone out there familiar with Moore Nature Reserve, please would you help me with these questions:

I live in Sankey which is north of Moore Nature Reserve. In the past I've driven all the way round to Moore village and parked up there. However, I've noticed on the map that I might be able to get there by walking through near Arpley landfill site. Does anyone know if that's possible or practical?

The road I mean is the one that leads to the tip/UU waste water treatment plant. I know if I turn left off that road onto Forrest Way there's a new housing estate and then a tall bridge then a right turn at a pointless roundabout to the landfill gates. Next to those gates I seem to remember a pathway for walkers, possibly marked Trans Pennine Trail...

I went (the long way round) today and saw some Marsh Tits...I think. Is that likely? I got a good look at them and plumped for Marsh rather than Willow and I think I heard the Marsh Tit song. (BTW There were some nuthatches, a few goldcrests and a GS Woodpecker which were also highlights for me.)

Last edited:
Hi 2520,

In answer to your first question, (sorry I've only just noticed !) that Bobby (Coigach) has answered fully, see also my "My Birding Day" entries, most of which are around Lymm. I saw most of the winter birds on your list yesterday - see "Merlin, Hares & Four-Fish Kingfisher" thread on "Your Birding Day". And Thurs (on one of the threads (? "Bramblings & Peregrine") I saw three Tawny owls on the way back from the pub!
In answer to your question re. Moore: I don't know if the route you mention is available, Arpley Tip itself is out of bounds. As to Marsh tit: Willow tit is more likely, though I hear Marsh occur too.
Anyway, if you fancy a trip around my patches, I can show you most of your wish list.
(Tawny owls now calling regularly outside my house too, now)
PM me if you want,
Cheers,
H

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back